British Comedy Guide

Only Fools and Horses Documentary series Page 3

The Story Of... Only Fools & Horses. David Jason. Copyright: North One Television.

The Story Of... Only Fools & Horses

Six-part documentary series looking at sitcom Only Fools & Horses

Paul Wimsett

• Thursday 28th September 2017, 12:34pm
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 2,626 posts
Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th September 2017, 11:32 AM

OFAH is such a broad church sitcom

I don't remember Olivia Colman.

Tommy Griff

• Thursday 28th September 2017, 1:32pm
  • Wiltshire, England
  • 180 posts
Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th September 2017, 11:32 AM

OFAH is such a broad church sitcom with different people loving different things about it, because it evolved into a family based sitcom in the last few years. Personally that's when I switched off because I didn't want to know about the clingy mumsy Raquel or the miserable stone faced whinging Cassandra. When he introduced these women it killed it for me. I'd have stuck with the great Marlene and just kept bringing guest women characters in as per the early to mid series which worked really well imo. When the two women characters moved in the sitcom lost its get up and go.

In my opinion, the show grew as a comedy and added many more funny dynamics to the show. The show aged well.

Sullivan wanted to add a bit of realism in to the show so there's nothing wrong with having the boys married/partnered up etc.

I know it means you don't have to enjoy it, but I feel it was more believable and necessary. You couldn't have the 3 of them, all single (even Albert got lucky with Elsie Partridge) getting old, trying to pull in the pubs and clubs.

WarmWasp

• Thursday 28th September 2017, 6:23pm [Edited]
  • London, United Kingdom
  • 30 posts

In family sitcoms, it's often conventional (passé or not) for the characters trajectories to take the drawn out paths of: settling down-marriage-pregnancy-little addition to the dynamic.

OFAH didn't do this by the manual of traditional sitcoms, given Rodney & Cassandra's separation, plus Del's temporary setback with Raquel, however it was more or less the expected route.

If you take this show's entire journey into consideration, it's perhaps (?) fairest to take the beat points of the entirety and watch those, maybe, six episodes if you were trying to watch how characters change over time.

G180e

• Wednesday 4th October 2017, 8:40pm [Edited]
  • Wolverhampton, England
  • 3,203 posts

Excellent series, I really enjoyed all six episodes. There was certainly lots of unseen material for fans to appreciate.

Hopefully this will get a DVD release, this needs to be added to the collection.

WarmWasp

• Thursday 5th October 2017, 11:00pm
  • London, United Kingdom
  • 30 posts

It really surprised me just how much unseen material there was! I'd always thought it was slim pickings, but there was certainly a substantial amount for DVD extras.

I'm not sure why there's never been any extras TBH. It's not like there's problematic reasons like there is with licensing music. There wasn't even any deleted scenes that were questionable in their content, so why not bring joy to the fans?!

The amount there was would undoubtedly be enjoyed by hardcore fans and normal viewers alike

Tommy Griff

• Saturday 21st October 2017, 10:19pm
  • Wiltshire, England
  • 180 posts
Quote: WarmWasp @ 5th October 2017, 11:00 PM

It really surprised me just how much unseen material there was! I'd always thought it was slim pickings, but there was certainly a substantial amount for DVD extras.

I'm not sure why there's never been any extras TBH. It's not like there's problematic reasons like there is with licensing music. There wasn't even any deleted scenes that were questionable in their content, so why not bring joy to the fans?!

The amount there was would undoubtedly be enjoyed by hardcore fans and normal viewers alike

I always got the impression that Sullivan was a perfectionist and didn't want any outtakes on the DVD extras.

John M

• Thursday 11th January 2018, 11:16pm
  • Scotland
  • 167 posts
Quote: Tommy Griff @ 26th September 2017, 11:16 PM

He wrote about what happens to real people in real life. He mixed death, abortions, glimmers of violence (Driscoll Brothers etc) with touching and poignant moments and above all - gag after gag after one liner.

Very true. Few writers manage to strike the terrific balance of laughs and pathos that John Sullivan did with Only Fools. The show deserves its place in the country's heart.

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Friday 12th January 2018, 11:55pm
  • England
  • 13,999 posts

There are some of us who think OFAH is just OK and nothing to get excited about.