Rory Kinnear

As a long-time fan of Delaney's 'Count Arthur Strong' (both radio and television), regarding him as a masterclass in character creation, each week of the BBC's sitcom series, I find myself actively scorning Rory Kinnear's comic attempts, whilst also puzzling Linehan's casting choice, considering he's somewhat of a veteran in the genre.

PLEASE, IS IT JUST ME or is Rory awful in front of three cameras and an audience? I'm far from disparaging his acting talents in other works (non-comedy TBH), however he should stay away from comedies, with particular avoidance of the traditional sitcom. Not only does it cringe up any featured scenes, however I felt he greatly weakened the shows potential to be heralded louder and more often, both critically and publicly.

Or, is it just me being nit-picky?

He was quite good in the new Quacks.

I think you're onto something there W.Wasp. I also felt his performance was flat and grey, but in fairness the character he played was dull so...

You can only play what's on the paper in front of you.
It was a terrible character, poorly written.
He had the dubious pleasure of heading up the story arc that destroyed the show.
Don't think you can lay it at the actor's door.
If one is to question anything, it might be the choices he makes when choosing roles - if CAS TV is anything to go by.

Quote: WarmWasp @ 16th August 2017, 6:09 PM

PLEASE, IS IT JUST ME or is Rory awful in front of three cameras and an audience? I'm far from disparaging his acting talents in other works (non-comedy TBH), however he should stay away from comedies, with particular avoidance of the traditional sitcom.

No, it isn't just you. I think Kinnear is a terrible comic actor, and generally overrated. He has this learnt-by-rote delivery which just grates, no matter what role he's in. I've seen him in a couple of plays and the guy seems so lifeless. There's no naturalness to his acting, it's just really forced and wooden and totally unsuited to comedy.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th August 2017, 11:18 PM

He was quite good in the new Quacks.

Agreed!

Another in agreement, apologies to R Kinnear Jr. as it now looks like a crusade against him. Seen him in several films and think he is a good serious actor, but that's what he is, a good serious actor especially suited to weighty film subjects or period costume roles from what I've seen, and he's certainly photogenic. Can't yet see him as a comedian unless there's work of his I've missed. He wasn't a total disaster in the CAS comedy pay offs in truth such as the bolt faced clown but generally he played Michael far too dry and serious and the viewer response seems to echo that.

I reckon Kinnear Sr. would've been much better suited to the Michael role in CAS as his jauntier style suited comedy far more. Rory seems to have none of the lightness and frivolity of his father, sadly for comedy fans. His upright and stone faced style reminds me of John Cleese but with none of the comic insanity that turns it into hilarity, a gift Cleese alone seems to have, on the face of it a very straight and serious looking man with but with a mental other self. With Kinnear it's all heavy with no light relief, meaning no comedy. IMO anyway.

He can be equally lacklustre in drama, for instance his Bolingbroke in The Hollow Crown, upstaged by James Purefoy as Norfolk in the big opening scene.

I must have bee watching a different show then in Count Arthur . I thought he added a lot to it . Very funny comic actor .

He was very good f**king a pig in Black Mirror.

???????????? Probably the most challenging role for any actor.

He's very good in Penny Dreadful as Frankenstein's Monster as well. Noble and pathetic all at the same time.