The Omid Djalili Show - Series 1

The Omid Djalili Show. Omid Djalili. Copyright: BBC.

The Omid Djalili Show

Omid Djalili unleashes his own brand of comedy, poking fun at modern life in Britain, the war on terror and his multi-cultural upbringing in Britain

chipolata

• Friday 12th October 2007, 3:46pm
  • England
  • 29,696 posts

I like Omid, he's a likeable guy, but he's never struck me as a heavyweight talent.

Aaron

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 3:00am
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,363 posts

Great show. Seriously, really enjoyable. Nice variety of sketches, some standup bits, generally a good mix. Plenty of laugh out loud moments, and a good feeling to it. Hope it gets the kudos it deserves.

And great to see something good on on a Saturday night!

Seefacts

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 3:08am
  • England
  • 4,203 posts

Bloody awful.

Typical 'I'm not English' comedy. (See Gina Yashere)

Boring and unoriginal - bit like his stand up, which is also appalling. Hackneyed references, and lots of putting on of accents. If a white comic did loads of turgid stereotyping it'd be called racist, but he does it and it's called intelligent.

Really quite shit.

Aaron

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 3:14am
  • 68,363 posts
Quote: Seefacts @ November 17, 2007, 10:08 PM

If a white comic did loads of turgid stereotyping it'd be called racist, but he does it and it's called intelligent.

That kind of hypocrisy is rampant throughout modern society unfortunately. I blame the PC crowd.

unoriginal

I do love this criticism though. Laughing out loud

Matthew Stott

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 3:34am
  • Yemen
  • 19,296 posts

Not bad I thought, after Armstrong and Miller another pretty decent mainstream comedy. I liked the stand up bits, though I have all ready heard him do all those bits before, so Itll be better in future episodes when he gets onto material I havent heard.

niteowl

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 4:37am
  • devon, England
  • 90 posts

Bit mixed I thought.I liked the Osama sketch but wasn't the constant laughs I wanted.Think my sense of humour is on holiday-I dont like anything at the moment (though I have chuckled at stuff on here!)
The show seemed a bit like something you'd expect from a newcomer finding their feet.If it was an unknown,rather than Omid I dont know that it would have got made.

Martin H

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 5:02am
  • Hull, England
  • 1,663 posts

Haven't seen it yet, but on every other show he's done he's been using the same material that he wrote about 7 years ago (no lie). He's a likable bloke though, so I'll check this out. Any repeat times?

If a white comic did loads of turgid stereotyping it'd be called racist, but he does it and it's called intelligent.

I don't really think that's true. Little Britain and Catherine Tate do lots of dodgy material like that and they get praised beyond belief.

Aaron

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 5:16am
  • 68,363 posts

Bizarrely, it would appear that it's just got the one showing. Pity really.

Chopz

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 6:16am
  • England
  • 926 posts

Does Bobby Penguin work for the BBC?

Seefacts

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 5:59pm
  • England
  • 4,203 posts
Quote: Aaron @ November 17, 2007, 10:14 PM

I do love this criticism though. Laughing out loud

What's so funny about that then?

Aaron

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 6:21pm
  • 68,363 posts

The implication that something is only good if it is original, and automatically not if it isn't.

Seefacts

• Sunday 18th November 2007, 6:27pm
  • England
  • 4,203 posts
Quote: Aaron @ November 18, 2007, 1:21 PM

The implication that something is only good if it is original, and automatically not if it isn't.

Well, to an extent that's true.

All Turks work in kebab shops - I wonder if Harry Enfield has been on the phone?

There were no new ideas or new takes on other nations at all.

Mark

• Monday 19th November 2007, 1:29am
  • Hampshire, England
  • 2,671 posts
Quote: Martin Holmes @ November 18, 2007, 12:02 AM

Haven't seen it yet, but on every other show he's done he's been using the same material that he wrote about 7 years ago (no lie).

The bad news is he repeated a lot of his stand-up act again (belly dance, management consultant, Abu Hamza etc etc) so you didn't miss that much new Martin.

As has been said above though - the sketches were alright. I was impressed with the effort that went into a couple - like the musical. The Bin Laden one was good too.