The Word Page 2

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th July 2017, 3:35 PM

Perhaps he got the tire from the trunk, not unless it was a rear engine car then it could have been under the hood. Unimpressed

Mind the sidewalk!

i was just happy i was back from the pub in time to see the singer/guitarist of L7 flash her gash as they were finishing a song on the word...
i think it was something to do for her bucket list

years later i believe one of the band f**ked a fan after, maybe during, a gig when they held a competition. it was a good gig, the guy nailed it

Quote: nobby pullin @ 24th July 2017, 6:28 PM

i was just happy i was back from the pub in time to see the singer/guitarist of L7 flash her gash as they were finishing a song on the word...
i think it was something to do for her bucket list

years later i believe one of the band f**ked a fan after, maybe during, a gig when they held a competition. it was a good gig, the guy nailed it

I saw that and was a bit grossed out. It looked a bit unkempt and probably hadn't seen soap and water in a while so going near it would have been a good candidate for the 'I'll do anything to get on TV' segment.

The same year she was performing at a festival with L7 and threw a tampon she had been using in to the crowd and shouted "eat my used tampon, f**kers". Classy!

i must confess i liked their performance on that show...raw and gutsy.......being american i spose she was showing she had balls, but forgot it was an all female band...spunky performance nevertheless

Quote: nobby pullin @ 24th July 2017, 9:27 PM

i must confess i liked their performance on that show...raw and gutsy.......being american i spose she was showing she had balls, but forgot it was an all female band...spunky performance nevertheless

Surely that was proven not to be the case.

Quote: nobby pullin @ 24th July 2017, 9:27 PM

Apart from the muff section it was a good performance and I like Pretend We're Dead. I wish GNR had been on it and them in 1992 would have probably become the most memorable moment. Welcome To The Jungle isn't my favourite track but that would have been perfect for The Word.

The invite I got in the post had the address and date details and had this stamped across it:

"DO NOT WEAR GREEN OR YELLOW"

Needless to say I didn't wear green or yellow and I guess it would have caused people to look out of place against the backgrounds but I'm not sure if it was those colours every week or if it changed. Maybe I can track down someone from the production team to answer that burning question.

It was an adventure I'm not sure I could do now. A train from the Midlands to London and then a nightbus to Teddington Studios. Then travel home after the show by getting a nightbus back to the train station and then back to the Midlands. The whole time looking like a total twat :D

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th July 2017, 12:27 AM

It was an adventure I'm not sure I could do now. A train from the Midlands to London and then a nightbus to Teddington Studios. Then travel home after the show by getting a nightbus back to the train station and then back to the Midlands. The whole time looking like a total twat :D

So that was you!! After all these years - I often wondered.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th July 2017, 12:27 AM

The invite I got in the post had the address and date details and had this stamped across it:

"DO NOT WEAR GREEN OR YELLOW"

Ooh, that is weirdly fascinating.

Quote: nobby pullin @ 24th July 2017, 6:28 PM

the singer/guitarist of L7

Good memories.

if L7 had given me a 'welcome to the jungle' i must admit i would have been well in...likewise 'get in the ring'

i loved grunge days and grunge bands but i always preferred a shaven haven to a grunge clunge....

I just have fond memories of L7's show at Selina's nightclub in Sydney in 1992. Wasn't the greatest concert, but in those days didn't go to concerts just for the music.

I watched Gladiator at the weekend which made me look up when Oliver Reed was on The Word. It doesn't show it in this video but I had forgotten they put alcohol and secret cameras in Oliver's dressing room to try to get him drunk. It's so sad because this video shows him smiling in such a genuine way sometimes when he makes the audience cheer but it's mixed with him looking very dark and angry and it's probably because he knew he was being mocked. On his wiki page a friend described him as the most charming man you could meet but when he had been drinking he became a monster which I suppose is typical of many people with alcohol dependancy issues. A show would never get away with doing something like that now and at the time I thought it was one of the meanest things they did. I probably only know 2% of the great work Oliver Reed did during his career and he deserved more respect but maybe you could also argue that's what The Word was all about and it wasn't trying to be like Parkinson.

Check out the youtube post from the user JackDaniels267 which is only two down on the lists of posts. He sums it up perfectly.

You can also see Bill Hicks on the sofa and I don't remember him on it but I've just checked and....yep, youtube to the rescue....