Edinburgh Fringe 2017 Page 3

That pretty well sums up my fringe. Well put Kenneth!

Toilet eh. Not bathroom, toilet.
Your certificate for honoury British woman is a step closer.

Dunnie or Crapper if it's in Scotland?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 29th August 2017, 7:30 AM

Toilet eh. Not bathroom, toilet.
Your certificate for honoury British woman is a step closer.

I've already been certified :P

It's weird, when I write/type, I've been slowly training (mostly from Mark's constant corrections of my S/Z issues and my forgetting to add Us to words, (I'm getting way better though!)) to use the proper words and spellings for things and use idioms and phrasings that are indigenous to the UK. And since I live secluded in the middle of nowhere, most of my social interaction is in writing to people in the UK. So when I got to Scotland, I just started speaking using the words and phrases I write with, and it seemed perfectly natural (kind of). Unless I hadn't slept in 3 days or was a bit tipsy, then my inner-hick came out a bit. I don't think I took on a stupid faux British accent. If I did I probably sounded like an idiot and am ashamed. I took the words and phrases, not the accent.

In a lot of warm up banter, comedians would ask 'Is there anyone in from X?' and a few times America was mentioned, and I shyly raised my hand and let out a meek little 'Sorry!'. The few random people in queues or pubs or wherever who asked me if I was American immediately followed up the question with 'Did you vote for Trump?' and I said 'No, absolutely not!' and then they accepted me as one of their own. I really didn't get too much trouble for being American (except for from my new Scotish boy toy. Whistling nnocently He really took the piss, but he's allowed to). It was lovely to not feel quite so American for a while though.

Cor blimey