Why does comedy lean to the left? Page 7

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd June 2017, 8:34 PM

. I'm sure Chris would have the Conservatives even if they adopted every Labour policy, simply because they're the Conservatives.

Are you joking? Of course I wouldn't!

Apologies, typo: hate*

So you're just firing back the same point that two guys made against you. Okay. Though, my argument is pretty robust, with a lot to back it up, while yours is based on dismissiveness and denial.

I don't need to bend over backward to criticize or find fault with the government, it's perfectly apparent what's wrong. As I said, go and volunteer in a food bank like I do. Unless you do, you won't understand the things I've seen.

I could name many Tories who seem to be decent. But as a whole record is terrible. They have failed Britain time and time again.
I could never love Michael Gove, Trump, Jeremy Hunt, Bush. II, Katie Ho pkins, Thatcher, Murdoch or so many others on the Right who have done so much harm.
Would you stop hating Labour if they adopted Tory policies?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 23rd June 2017, 9:37 PM

I could name many Tories who seem to be decent. But as a whole record is terrible. They have failed Britain time and time again.
I could never love Michael Gove, Trump, Jeremy Hunt, Bush. II, Katie Ho pkins, Thatcher, Murdoch or so many others on the Right who have done so much harm.
Would you stop hating Labour if they adopted Tory policies?

I don't hate Labour. It's closer to bemusement, as they've done this country so much harm. They have failed Britain time and time again. If they changed ... well, almost every policy they have, then certainly I would be able to consider voting for them.

I have no hard-and-set party 'brand' allegiance. If I had any doubt about that previously, the recent election campaign and current Conservative leadership have made it crystal clear.

Quote: Dave @ 23rd June 2017, 9:35 PM

So you're just firing back the same point that two guys made against you.

Yes. Your opinions and biases seem as ingrained and unbending as mine evidently appear to you.

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd June 2017, 10:24 PM

I don't hate Labour. It's closer to bemusement, as they've done this country so much harm. They have failed Britain time and time again. If they changed ... well, almost every policy they have, then certainly I would be able to consider voting for them.

I have no hard-and-set party 'brand' allegiance. If I had any doubt about that previously, the recent election campaign and current Conservative leadership have made it crystal clear.

Yes. Your opinions and biases seem as ingrained and unbending as mine evidently appear to you.

What biases do I have? I look at politics from the perspective of the poor and the vulnerable. Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the government for failing such people.

And have you looked into volunteering at a food bank yet?

Quote: Dave @ 23rd June 2017, 10:35 PM

What biases do I have? I look at politics from the perspective of the poor and the vulnerable. Unfortunately, I am disappointed with the government for failing such people.

I too am disappointed with such failings. It's not the only thing I look at in deciding who I might vote for though.

Quote: Dave @ 23rd June 2017, 10:35 PM

And have you looked into volunteering at a food bank yet?

Not yet.

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd June 2017, 11:21 PM

I too am disappointed with such failings. It's not the only thing I look at in deciding who I might vote for though.

Not yet.

That's fair enough, and I appreciate you acknowledging that failure on the first point. I have to remind myself sometimes that people have different priorities when it comes to voting - indeed, politics in general - and they don't all sure my view that the poor and vulnerable should come first. In a chat I had the other day with a friend of mine, I was saying that people vote for different reasons and that a Labour voter, for example, could talk for half an hour about why they vote without once mentioning the things that I would mention.

I've had this chat with many people and we've come to the conclusion that liberal lefty comedians ("comedians" :) ) seem to more than ever, feel terrified to offend. It's an easier gig for them to mock the right wing politicians and its supporters, than to do so the other way round, because liberals get offended at many things and thus, the comedian's career goes down the swanny.

Just my opinion like. The Last Leg is a classic example of reaching out to its young, brainwashed Twitter audience with its political satire and Tory bashing.

Yes, you guessed it, I am a right winged kind of guy. Must mean I'm a racist and all the rest of it, no? ;-)

Quote: Dave @ 23rd June 2017, 11:29 PM

That's fair enough, and I appreciate you acknowledging that failure on the first point. I have to remind myself sometimes that people have different priorities when it comes to voting - indeed, politics in general - and they don't all sure my view that the poor and vulnerable should come first. In a chat I had the other day with a friend of mine, I was saying that people vote for different reasons and that a Labour voter, for example, could talk for half an hour about why they vote without once mentioning the things that I would mention.

Very true.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd June 2017, 11:35 PM

I've had this chat with many people and we've come to the conclusion that liberal lefty comedians ("comedians" :) ) seem to more than ever, feel terrified to offend.

Frankie Boyle is left wing. Do you think he's terrified of offending anyone? Or Stewart Lee?

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 23rd June 2017, 11:35 PM

I

Yes, you guessed it, I am a right winged kind of guy. Must mean I'm a racist and all the rest of it, no? ;-)

A bit oversensitive! Unless you start posting racist stuff, no one will accuse you of this. No one else on the Right has been accused of this on this thread. Why so touchy?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 24th June 2017, 9:14 AM

Unless you start posting racist stuff, no one will accuse you of this. No one else on the Right has been accused of this on this thread.

It wasn't in this thread, but I was accused of being a racist on this forum less than a week ago. It's standard practice these days when discussing political topics: if you vote for the "wrong" party or advocate for anything less than wide-open borders, out come the accusations of racism. Whispers about Hitler are often right around the corner.

You're all worse than a thousand Hitlers.

What did you actually say DaButt?...I looked it up. You said Palestinians had "a penchant for violence".

They say you lose the argument once you mention Hitler, but that's also true if you pull the race card incorrectly.

The problem is with hard right (and left) leaders like Trumps is they're are so hypersensitive there is absolutely no point accusing them of anything, they just deny it. So no point debating with them. Do you think Trump would ever change his mind, unless it benefited himself ? Selfish governors are dangerous. Cameron and May have both proved they were out of touch with the voters and look at the immense damage they inflicted upon us. Our country has been torn down the middle, as Trump as appears to have done with America. The Tories have not had a majority in 5 out of the last 6 elections. Labour have had three, including 2 landslides, which speaks volumes.