Things I don't understand, but maybe it's just me . . . Page 2

Don't get me started on people...;)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 5th May 2017, 7:06 PM

Don't get me started on people...;)

I know, and I'm really sorry about that incident yesterday . . .

We'll say no more about it....not everyone can wear Lycra and get away with it.

But dare I say . . . it was rather fetching on you . . .

You're too kind...a little hidden velcro goes a long way.

Things I don't understand? Yes, today's election results.

Quote: fopdoodle @ 5th May 2017, 5:01 PM

in a long time and just ignore regardless, instead of posting on one as a total pricktard.

Errr

Unnecessary for what basically was a slight elbow dig - don't be so touchy and nasty.

Pricktard? aye, a bit strong that. Say ya sorry :)

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 5th May 2017, 6:56 PM

Cyclists who hurtle past on paths without sounding their bell, yes you are total menaces, I can vouch for that!

Cycling on footpaths is actually illegal, though rarely enforced.

Quote: billwill @ 7th May 2017, 2:00 PM

Cycling on footpaths is actually illegal, though rarely enforced.

Like most crimes these days.

Looking forward to Labour employing their extra 10,000 police officers (at a cost of £30 each).

Coppers for coppers?

Party leaders ahead of elections preparing pretty words to help them win votes.

I don't understand how anyone can buy this nonsense without at least being furnished with a little justification and rationale - strategy even, such as how they are going to implement and where the money is going to come from, but maybe that's just me.

Call me cynical, but I am as likely to believe politicians' current BS as I am to believe if one told me that if I vote for them, a fairy will come round my flat and clean it while I sleep.

Here's one that's been doing my head in for a couple of decades: astrophysics/cosmology.

Why does science use the present tense to describe what happened some billions of years ago? As in:

"We know that the universe is accelerating."

So.. they analyse light that was created near the time of the Big Bang and because they see acceleration thereof, some feel empowered to say that the universe IS accelerating.

Surely, the further back in time that we look, we SHOULD see acceleration, the closer to the Big Bang that we perceive - that's the nature of an explosion: early rapid acceleration followed by a much longer period of deceleration. So why the present tense, when essentially we're looking at light from way back in time?

I'll have to phone Dr. Karl, so that I'll finally get a scientist to say those unutterable words: "I don't know."

As far as I know, the Universe is still expanding.

Determined by red shift, doppler effect, of far off stars or galaxies.

Isn't there at least one already on this title?

Quote: fopdoodle @ 5th May 2017, 12:34 PM

There seems to be a glut of programmes on TV now about people on benefits, and while I've been there myself after losing my house and all sob stories that go along with it, despite understanding their plight, I do not understand why the majority seem to smoke.

I get that perhaps they feel stress and is the only 'luxury' they still have, but as it's so unaffordable now especially as you can no longer buy 10 to spread out over a few days, the outlay for 20 is a huge chunk out of JSA or whatever they get.

I gave up 20 years ago successfully, then something happened to make me into a temporary smoker, and since then have been one of those annoying 'occasional' types, but I have found that it's more mind over matter as after a week of abstinence, the very thought of smoking is quite disgusting.

So people who quite rightly put the mouths of their children as priority ahead of theirs food-wise, are doing themselves and their kids no favours by not trying at least to quit the weed . . . or maybe it's just me in having a overly simplistic view.

And yes I know for a fact that a lot of the twats do insist on 'aving a fag!