All Round To Mrs Brown's - Series 1

No thread for this yet.

Great news that this is getting a second series ( and more I would imagine).

It's a great premise and I have enjoyed all the first series.

The cut-a-way bits with Dermot and Buster are brilliant.

Anyone else enjoying it?

Quote: Will Cam @ 2nd May 2017, 11:40 AM

Great news that this is getting a second series ( and more I would imagine).

Really? Please tell me you are being ironic.

Not at all.

It's a real 'variety' show. Bit of chat, fun sketch with celebrity input, audience participation, familiar in-jokes, rounded off with a live band.

Plus, the celebrities are not just plugging stuff.

What's not to like?

Rounding smut off with effin' and blindin' is not funny to start with and so I tired very quickly of his original show; but now they are plumbing the depths.

In a sleepy haze and not wanting to move to go to bed I caught the tail end of this show last night where they were celebrating "My Mammy" (?) and this woman had not only killed two pet hamsters belonging to her daughter but also had nearly stabbed her by throwing a knife at her....................cue "Mrs Brown" to make something of that to manic laughter all round with the audience apparently in hysterics. And so her reward because her jolly (clearly mental) daughter thought she was a real laugh (WTF) was to knock fivers off three loons with a tea towel and (surprise surprise!!) get the key to the star prize.

God help us all.

The only good thing about it was the "disappointing" announcement by "Mr/Mrs Brown" that the show was not on next week as it had come to the end of its series.

And now, f**k me, they are going to make some more.

Another programme I won't watch on principle.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd May 2017, 6:58 PM

Another programme I won't watch on principle.

Watch it.

What Will said. I did tend to feel that each episode stretched on a bit long and could have lost 10-15 minutes; but it was great fun variety all-round.

Have heard much trash talk regarding the Mrs. Brown franchise over time, which has led me to actively avoid checking any of it out until now, and has probably admittedly also biased me against it now that I am checking it out. But with all of the conflicting opinions and unpleasantries this show has provoked among our ranks, I felt duty-bound to at least take a look for myself.

Now this is admittedly a review based on the first barely-under-five-minutes of a randomly selected episode. In short, I found it deplorable. Totally pointless. Absolutely inane rubbish. Insultingly bad. I don't think I've ever watched a studio sitcom (or studio-whatever) and had such an immediate and intense feeling of pity for the people sat in that room (though thankfully they at least sounded like they were enjoying it. All the better for them I suppose.)

Don't know how to type in a half a star, but if I did know how I would give it a half star review. Pretend the following '*' is half-invisible. The right-half to be specific. I couldn't make it to the 5 minute mark, just couldn't do it. I felt it was quickly draining out the final dregs of intellect and self-respect my already exhausted and battered mind had left in reserve from a long day. Would I have hated it less if I weren't so tired and exhausted...probably not, honestly. I'm backing Herc's review on this one (fancy that, Herc!), though I concede that both he and I are slightly compromised because of both making judgments of the show whilst very tired. I'm not in a foul mood though. Not 10 minutes ago I was laughing aloud to the latest episode of Taskmaster, and not a minute after posting I'm going right back to just that. Do we have a thread going for this series of Taskmaster? I need to check on that. Anyone going to the see the next series get filmed (or want to? I have a friend who may or may not have an extra ticket to one of the S5 tapings. Taskmaster, that is, not Mrs. Brown's.)

I gave it a (bit of a) chance. That's all I can say.

(this is at least mostly on-topic, I hope).