RIP Leo Baxendale

The flags on Snotty Castle are flying at half mast. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39730388

Don't think he drew Lord Snotty, but he did create the Bash St Kids, Minnie the Minx and um Little Plum. So many memories.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th April 2017, 2:23 PM

The flags on Snotty Castle are flying at half mast. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39730388

Don't think he drew Lord Snotty, but he did create the Bash St Kids, Minnie the Minx and um Little Plum. So many memories.

Oh yea, RIP.......a BIG part of my days as a 1950s sprog. The Beano and The Dandy.

But I always remember it as being Lord Snooty, which takes on a totally different slant. Whistling nnocently

Lord Snotty was the young Lord Snooty.
Baxendale was quite simply the best. Endlessly inventive and prolific.

I loved the Beano in the 80s and even joined the club. I would collect the comics and stickers and I've never done that with anything else. It felt like I was part of the Bash Street Kids.

I had a joke printed in the Beano when I was about 10. Or to be exact a cartoon joke. I was amazed they printed it exactly as I drew it.
I thought they would do it with their own artists.
I would love to see it again.

I didn't know the name but I do now.

I never regularly bought the Beano or Dandy although my sister used to get the Minnie the Minx Annuals. Was she one of his creations?

And without him there might not have been Viz.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th April 2017, 8:28 PM

I had a joke printed in the Beano when I was about 10. Or to be exact a cartoon joke. I was amazed they printed it exactly as I drew it.
I thought they would do it with their own artists.
I would love to see it again.

That's so cool but a shame that you don't have a copy of the comic. Do you know what issue or date it will have been from to see if collectors have it even if just to see if they will scan and email it without buying it? I had a big Beano comic collection and also a large comic library collection which included issues 1 and 2. Both in perfect condition and never written on but they are a lot less valuable than issue 1 of the comic because the comic libraries didn't start being made until the 80s. I can't remember how old I was but at some point I lost interest in the Beano and felt like I had outgrown it so flogged everything when my mum and dad did a car boot sale. Even the comic libraries :S

Just googling it tonight after the sad news today and it's brought back such nice memories of when I was a boy and the highlight of my day was diving in to a cold bed with the latest issue of the Beano to read under the covers with a torch. A far cry from a large scotch and seeing how Biffa Bacon is having his teeth knocked out this month.

I have now tried to find it online.... no luck.

It would have been printed in about 1966 -67-68
I think I received a postal order for 10 shillings.

The joke was a picture of a goldfish bowl with one fish in it and the water level was low.
The father said to the son (in a balloon speech) GIve the goldfish some more water son.
The son replied 'But it hasn't drunk the last lot yet dad.

Not bad for a 10 year old.

I'd say that was indeed good for a ten-year-old.

That would get you on BBC 3 without a blink nowadays.