Count Arthur Strong - Series 3 (TV) Page 2

I agree - my favourite television episode was the one at the flying school which some might describe as a flying school rather than a Count episode!

I really don't know why this is dragging on. You can't have the same central character, however funny, on screen all the time - that's just silly and would not work as of course you need a plot that involves other people.

So dont call it "Count Arthur Strong" then!!!!
Call it the whatever its called cafe... or some other title that doesn't elude to a central character!

Like Mrs Brown's Boys??.... Oh wait which character in that sitcom DOMINATES the story line completely????... that would be Mrs Brow I think.... not "her" boys!

Some Mothers did have them.... and again who did the whole plot and story revolve around? (Great)... and his name wasn't even in the title!

Count Arthur worked brilliantly on Radio and perhaps they should have at least given it a go here?
....and before all you, "it doesn't always transfer to TV" bunch stick your oar in it worked pretty well for Mighty Boosh, Goodness Gracious, Hitchhikers guide, That Alan Partridge thingy!, Mitchell and Webb and so many other GOOD comedies.
And others that have successfully gone the other way like Steptoe, Dads Army etc etc

Which brings us back to the modern problem that, in my humble opinion, is killing TV comedy..... the Committee decision!
The Radio 4 listening, I've got a degree in marketing and mines in accounting and I live in Gerrards Cross suited executives who look at other popular "things " and say but we need this, and that and ooh... Betty!

Then we are left with a whole forum full of people defending what are really mediocre, best of a bad bunch, sitcoms because we have nothing decent to compare them too!

Where are the sitcoms that will stand the test of time?
Why are all the repeats of great sitcoms from the 60s/70s?
Can anyone tell me what are the classics that everyone is still watching from the late 80s onward s????
(Apart from Friends 300 years of repeats and the endless Big Bang showings!). (Lets talk UK!)

...am I ranting a bit?

Quote: Compo @ 21st May 2017, 2:40 PM

...am I ranting a bit?

Yes.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st May 2017, 2:45 PM

Yes.

Then I apologize profusely.
I suppose we live in a time when, as my wife said to me when we first met, its any port in a storm!
Pity the foundations to the landing stages of modern sitcoms are so weak!

....I'm off to write a commercially successful sitcom called "Eric" and guess what.......... there isn't even anyone called Eric in it!....Ha ha ha ...ha ha ha ....ha ha ha ha ha.....ha oooow, ha ha hah!!!... (That a sample of the laugh track that goes with it!).

Quote: Compo @ 21st May 2017, 2:57 PM

Then I apologize profusely.

That's all very well, but now I am covered in spittle. :(

Yes!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Best episode ever ever

ARTHUR! ARTHUR!! ARTHUR!!!!

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th May 2017, 9:02 PM

Yes!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Best episode ever ever

ARTHUR! ARTHUR!! ARTHUR!!!!

Heeeeeeyyy, Lofty, you bastard!!!! Good to see you!!

Not very impressed so far, after seeing two episodes. But the ending of episode one, with Michael's make up was hilarious. I did laugh out loud.

Whaaa?

This series has been great up to now and last night's was insanely funny.

The whole Arthur mistakenly involved with gang land mobster types was genius.

Hope you're well Gordy.

Rarely does any comedy I watch appeal to my wife but she is a big fan of Arthur, has taken a real shine to him and thinks he is very funny.

So there you go and you don't argue with my wife. ;)

I have enjoyed all the TV shows so far. It's a classic for me. The episode in Series 2, The Affair, stands as a perfect 30 mins of sitcom for me. The whole cast are all excellent, but a special mention for Zahra Ahmadi as Sinem, who is simply the glue that holds it together. Long may it continue. Caught the Count on tour too recently. Excellent.

Thought Arthur's Brian Cox moments were classic.

Michael is growing on me. I think he has been given more to work with this series.

All the supporting characters are just that.

Have seen Arthur on tour twice now. Brilliant verbal dexterity/nonsense.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th May 2017, 12:57 AM

Rarely does any comedy I watch appeal to my wife but she is a big fan of Arthur, has taken a real shine to him and thinks he is very funny.

So there you go and you don't argue with my wife. ;)

I'd never argue with Mrs. Thynne. I'm sure she's a charming lady...and it's only YOU I want to destroy. ;)

I absolutely loved series two of the Count, I hope they'll release it on DVD one day. But again, I'm not very impressed with series three so far, except for a few bright spots. Let's see what the rest of the series will bring. How is the radio show? Are those episodes available on CD?

Well, I enjoyed both of the episodes broadcast so far. As funny as the previous two series.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 31st May 2017, 9:47 PM

I absolutely loved series two of the Count, I hope they'll release it on DVD one day. But again, I'm not very impressed with series three so far, except for a few bright spots. Let's see what the rest of the series will bring. How is the radio show? Are those episodes available on CD?

They are fantastic. Much better than the TV series, IMO. Very different beast though - pure Count and his befuddled world. No Michael. Here's the first series on CD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FP2GX4/comedyguide-21/

(TV Series 2 was released on DVD in September. https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01HI699PU/comedyguide-21/ )