Newsjack - CricketStarWarsSnapNeganHacksFaceFordZoos

More Newsjack rejects from the last couple of weeks. I thought some of these were quite good (but apparently not). Any comments/suggestions/feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

ONELINERS

Sport. India dominated Bangladesh in the test cricket this week. We ask - if they're so good, how come they've never won The Ashes?

Nerds are angry that the next Doctor Who might be female - having the last two Star Wars films led by women drove them crazy, but this latest news has got them absolutely Rey-Jyn mad

Investors hope to buy Snapchat for 25 billion dollars - they're very excited about the company's prospects and can't wait to tell everyone about it on their MySpace profile and Friends Reunited page

"The Walking Dead" is back on TV this week and, despite complaints, the production team refuse to tone down the show's violence. If they can't see that Negan's scenes with Lucille are totally unacceptable then someone will just have to beat it into their thick skulls.

NUMBER CRUNCHERS

One and a half million - the number of websites that have been hacked and defaced this week due to poor security - zero - the number of hacks that got through the impenetrable NewsJack knob firewall boobs

One - The number of times Facebook asked users to help with its rebranding - One million - the number of people who suggested "Facebook McFacebookFace"

One billion dollars - the amount of money that Ford is going to invest in developing artificial intelligence for their state of the art self-driving cars - Twenty quid - what it costs to hire Brian and his Ford Transit down the Red Lion

1 - the number of zoos found to be cruelly neglecting their animals this week. 4 - the number of hungry hungry hippos.

There are some rather good ones here. Not sure I get the "NewsJack knob firewall boobs" one. But I really like the zoo/hungry hippo gag.

I think the something McSomethingface gag had already been used in one incarnation this series. That's probably why they rejected that one.

Some of these whoosh over my head. I'm middle-aged (and not a cricket fan) so a lot of the references are lost on me.

However, I think I do get the firewall one. I take it the line itself is meant to be hacked. That is very clever, perhaps too clever for Newsjack, but I like it. Maybe it needs some tweaking, but good concept.

Also I take it you knew the Mc-name-Face gag was used before and they loved it and you were taking a punt on it becoming a running gag. This is also clever and was worth a try.

I like the hungry hippos line - finally a reference I know.

Some good stuff, just watch you don't limit your audience to those who know the new Star Wars/ watch The Walking Dead etc
PS can you explain the cricket one to me please?

Quote: Mahatma Kane Jeeves @ 19th February 2017, 12:39 PM

PS can you explain the cricket one to me please?

Only England and Australia play in the ashes

Yes it's tricky to avoid going too specific on things. The Newsjack audience (and team) seem quite young so I guessed they'd get the Star Wars, Walking Dead references.

You are both right with the clarifications - India don't play The Ashes and the hacking line was itself meant to have been hacked.

Cheers!
Mike

Quote: Mike X @ 19th February 2017, 10:54 AM

More Newsjack rejects from the last couple of weeks. I thought some of these were quite good (but apparently not)

They have to choose whatever fits in best with the rest of the show.