Newsjack 2017 Page 40

Kinda wish the NJ team tweeted a sneak preview sketch like they used to. Also a joke and a credit in the afternoon? That, and the little stressed out production and editing pics throughout the week (enough of the sweetie hampers already!)... helped keep the pot simmering....or was it just me because I'm a sad fecker with not much of a life?

Angela has given them fruit not refined sugar this time.
Good luck all.
Already worked out my sketches not made it as one may be slanderous and one is not funny enough and the punch line was not great I don't think. I didn't think that as I was writing and emailing them. The sketches seemed fine then. Realisation has hit me between Tuesday 12.02 and now.

I was amused at last week's NJ reference (in the sketch) to people resending sketches as I have been known to rehash one of my previous reject sketches when I ran out of time to do a second one, thinking they can't recall all the sketches they have had so they won't mind. They clearly do notice so I will work with May's mantra - no sketch is better than a rehashed sketch. There is no point following her mantra even more closely - no sketch is better than a bad sketch because, if I did, I would never send any in at all.....

Just spied a box of doughnuts, clearly the fruit was just a fad.
Good luck with the scripts, you never know, your idea might be a winner

...back to feeling like a Wonkerless Charlie Bucket

Well according to Twitter - "@NewsjackBBC: Tonight's show feats Corbyn at a fete, May in the SAS and Trump in Puerto Rico https://t.co/p7dQeAcwTD" so congrats if that's yours!

Unusual for them to run sketches featuring Trump, May and Corbyn. Not sure about this chance in direction.

Emails gone out. Nothing for me.

Quote: Thosisd @ 5th October 2017, 5:56 PM

Well according to Twitter - "@NewsjackBBC: Tonight's show feats Corbyn at a fete, May in the SAS and Trump in Puerto Rico https://t.co/p7dQeAcwTD" so congrats if that's yours!

Unusual for them to run sketches featuring Trump, May and Corbyn. Not sure about this chance in direction.

Ha I had the same thought. None of those are mine.
!*!
I will give it ....series then give up. I reckon this is my third series though I am losing count. Haven't decided how many before carrying on is silly. However, I still find it fun and I am addicted so carrying on for a bit longer!
Well done if you got one of those on.

Quote: BTF @ 5th October 2017, 6:03 PM

!*!
I will give it ....series then give up. I reckon this is my third series though I am losing count. Haven't decided how many before carrying on is silly. However, I still find it fun and I am addicted so carrying on for a bit longer!

If you enjoy it don't give up. Simple as that. I now follow Millican's Law, whereby Sarah Millican gives herself an hour to wallow after a bad gig then she has to move on. Therefore, each week I give myself an hour to wallow then I move on to something else. You never know if you are a funny person who just isn't suited for Newjack. Plenty of professional writers have been through that (apparently), and it really is good practice.

I try and stay positive but I'm feeling quite deflated this week.

I love writing for the series and can easily see the benefit in trying. It really strengthens my writing and forces me to stay active. I've had near misses so I know I'm on the right track but I'd really like a credit to validate that.

Back to it.

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 5th October 2017, 6:09 PM

Therefore, each week I give myself an hour to wallow then I move on to something else.

Same here, whether it's Newsjack, jobs, relationships...

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 5th October 2017, 6:09 PM

If you enjoy it don't give up. Simple as that. I now follow Millican's Law, whereby Sarah Millican gives herself an hour to wallow after a bad gig then she has to move on. Therefore, each week I give myself an hour to wallow then I move on to something else. You never know if you are a funny person who just isn't suited for Newjack. Plenty of professional writers have been through that (apparently), and it really is good practice.

Yes you are right. I guess I would not do it if it wasn't fun. Anyone on here hit the JACK pot? You can see why I never get on the show...

If I had resources and/or contacts I'd start a pub night called "News-re-jacks" which'd be an open mic evening presented in the same format, but with our failures of jokes and sketches, instead.

Quote: Thosisd @ 5th October 2017, 6:12 PM

I try and stay positive but I'm feeling quite deflated this week.

I love writing for the series and can easily see the benefit in trying. It really strengthens my writing and forces me to stay active. I've had near misses so I know I'm on the right track but I'd really like a credit to validate that.

Back to it.

Near misses - that is really good. Many people don't get that close. Including me.

Quote: Steev @ 5th October 2017, 6:15 PM

If I had resources and/or contacts I'd start a pub night called "News-re-jacks" which'd be an open mic evening presented in the same format, but with our failures of jokes and sketches, instead.

I am sure a lot of things don't get on the show for reasons other than the jokes not being funny, with the numbers of one liners they get.

Twitter says e-mails sent, about 17 minutes ago

Just had a thought. Is calling Boris Johnson a fascist in a joke slanderous/libellous? If so, I didn't stand a chance with my favourite of the jokes I sent them.

Quote: BTF @ 5th October 2017, 6:03 PM

!*!

If you find it fun, keep going! This really is a long game. I didn't get anything in the script (but was cut) until my third series. I got a sketch and a couple of one-liners in the fourth.

Then I met some lovely people from BCG at a recording (Hey, kids! Don't meet up with strangers from the internet!), whom I then went on to work on other projects with. Best of all I met the fabulous Bonzo; we've now been writing together for three years.

Keep looking around for other opportunities, like NewsRevue and the Treason Show; both are weekly, year-round shows so are great for practice.

Just checked my emails and turns out, I'm in tonights show!