Newsjack 2017 Page 27

I sent a couple of one liners and a number cruncher, this is my first attempt at any sort of comedy writing. I told my wife the jokes but she thought they were rubbish. I told my friend at work them and she thought they were good. I think my wife is not afraid at putting me down. My one liner was about Boris too.

First rule of comedy tigerbailey - do not use your wife as a sounding board. Strange chaps those wives.

Quote: tigerbailey @ 20th September 2017, 1:36 PM

I told my wife the jokes but she thought they were rubbish.

Well then, you've got a goal; to prove her wrong. It's one of the few things that's good about a marriage.

I only discovered Newsjack earlier this year so, for those who know it better, do they ever do risqué material at all? Obviously no swearing but would a topical joke that had vague sexy connotations or back referenced something like Princess Diana's death or 9/11 go straight in the bin? Thanks!

Quote: Mike X @ 20th September 2017, 6:38 PM

I only discovered Newsjack earlier this year so, for those who know it better, do they ever do risqué material at all? Obviously no swearing but would a topical joke that had vague sexy connotations or back referenced something like Princess Diana's death or 9/11 go straight in the bin? Thanks!

I've been submitting stuff like that for three series to no avail (or maybe my jokes just aren't funny). From listening to the show, nothing particularly controversial seems to make the final cut.

It would have to be really funny.

I sent in a sketch this week that references Diana, Prince Andrew, Jimmy Savile and Gary Glitter. I don't expect anything to come of it but it was fun writing it and I liked the punchline.

Anybody at the recording tonight able to update on what they remember?

Good luck everyone. Here we go again.

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 20th September 2017, 7:37 PM

I sent in a sketch this week that references Diana, Prince Andrew, Jimmy Savile and Gary Glitter. I don't expect anything to come of it but it was fun writing it and I liked the punchline.

"Boom Boom!"?

Oooh yes please! If nothing else it let's me down more gently when my sketch isn't listed hehe!

Good luck for episode 2 everyone!

J x

Sketches tonight were...
Justin Trudeau & Theresa May (feat Angela Merkel)
Theresa & Boris Johnson - "I win!"
Trump, Melania, and a Democrat
Western movie
Safron shortage
Buckingham Palace

This list is incomplete - if I remember any more, I'll add them here!

The Teresa May Boris Johnson one could be mine. Did it involve Boris offering the PM a biscuit then eating them all like Cookie monster?

No North Korea sketch then? Dammit! Fingers crossed for my Lady Gaga one-liner...

Quote: DuckingAround @ 20th September 2017, 10:31 PM

Sketches tonight were...
Justin Trudeau & Theresa May (feat Angela Merkel)
Theresa & Boris Johnson - "I win!"
Trump, Melania, and a Democrat
Western movie
Safron shortage
Buckingham Palace

This list is incomplete - if I remember any more, I'll add them here!

Thanks for posting. How was the episode in general? Seen mixed reviews for last week but personally enjoyed it.

Thanks!
I was going to do a sketch about Nigel the robot (a minor news story) but ran out of time, so am praying nobody else did one on it. (Not that it would really matter if they had).
A shame the Rocket Man story broke too late for this week's deadline.
Good luck for tonight everyone!