Ricky Gervais: Humanity

So. After announcing it in 2012, he finally gets around to a tour that isn't a pseudo-music/passion project as David Brent. A proper stand up tour.

I'm undecided. I have got all the DVDs and will get this one when it comes out. But shelling out over thirty quid?

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/12/01/26344/ricky_gervais_announces_stand-up_dates

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 1st December 2016, 6:01 PM

So. After announcing it in 2012, he finally gets around to a tour that isn't a pseudo-music/passion project as David Brent. A proper stand up tour.

I'm undecided. I have got all the DVDs and will get this one when it comes out. But shelling out over thirty quid?

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2016/12/01/26344/ricky_gervais_announces_stand-up_dates

If he plays Birmingham or Wolverhampton then I will try and get some tickets. I would love to see him live but I know he's only announced a few dates so far, he has said he has plans to tour it for at least two years so I dare say, he will add plenty of extra dates over the coming months.

And as for the price, I paid £38 to see Catherine Tate earlier this month and have paid £36 for Jack Whitehall in 2017 and £45 for Mrs Brown's Boys 2017 tour. So in fairness, £30 - £40 a ticket is not bad at all.

I have wanted to see Ricky Gervais for a while, but I'm just worried that, in my opinion, his stand-ups have slowly declined in quality since Politics. I think it must have been ego, but he seemed not to put as much effort into having an "act" or stage persona. His old show were genius a lot of the time just because of how they were delivered.

Although having said that, I would see him if he was closer to Nottingham.

Birmingham has been announced... I'll be trying for tickets on Friday.

It is much the same as 'Science'.

Pretty cheap, unsubtle humour.

What is it about this bloke who cannot top his Animals and Politics.

I like him. But I'm very cheap and will wait until it comes on TV.

Humanity is coming to Netflix on March 13th. He was fantastic when I went to see him last June in Birmingham so extremely looking forward to the Netflix special and it looks like he's planning a sixth tour.

I watched this the other day and quite enjoyed it, maybe my favourite standup show of his. If you're a big fan or have just been listening to Deadly Sirius you'll know a good load of the material already

The jokes about Caitlyn Jenner/transgender women seemed a bit juvenile and outdated, it's not that I'm offended by the joke itself but unfortunately Ricky has taken to typecast any criticism of it as just people getting offended for no good reason. I can understand why people would get upset by it even if they'd seen his shows before and knew his character. The situation re trans people is a lot more nuanced really, and comments like the ones Ricky's parodying, trans women not being real women and the like, aren't exclusive to the stereotype of a right-wing bigot and also exist from people with similar politics to him, sort of centre-left liberal etc. So I could see how this blurs the line between just being a joke and actually meaning some of it, as the situation is a lot more nuanced than some.