Walliams & Friend - Series 1

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward very much to more of the same. Not what I was expecting and loved the Sherlock Holmes etc; but what really had me laughing out loud was the Celebrity Slammer - the bit with the Chuckle Brothers doing the other prisoner's head in with their "To you, to me" routine with the bunk bed mattress really appealed!! Laughing out loudLaughing out loud

Also nice to Michael Knowles about again from IAHHM as I am watching the box set at the moment.

Midway through the first sketch, where Whitehall pulled out a trainer to highlight the air bubble in it, I thought "the 90s have called, they want their zeitgeist back"

But I'm pretty sure sketch comedy in the 90s wasn't that bad. It felt like they've beaten the comic potential out of reasonable setups by making the sketches drag on and on and on, either all punchline and no humour in the setup or all obvious observation and no twist. Whitehall's Sherlock was reasonably decent I guess, but no real need to repeat the same gag later in the show...

Interestingly enough this is exactly what I was expecting from a Walliams-fronted sketch show though... :)

Far better than the pilot episode last year. Only a few funny sketches though.

Walliams should've continued with 'Big School', series 2 was quite good.

Quote: enigmatic @ 26th November 2016, 10:12 PM

Midway through the first sketch, where Whitehall pulled out a trainer to highlight the air bubble in it, I thought "the 90s have called, they want their zeitgeist back"

But I'm pretty sure sketch comedy in the 90s wasn't that bad. It felt like they've beaten the comic potential out of reasonable setups by making the sketches drag on and on and on, either all punchline and no humour in the setup or all obvious observation and no twist. Whitehall's Sherlock was reasonably decent I guess, but no real need to repeat the same gag later in the show...

Interestingly enough this is exactly what I was expecting from a Walliams-fronted sketch show though... :)

Agreed. In the 90s series such as The Fast Show really turned the traditional sketch show on its head via the showreel format. We sat through the show until the footballers' singing sketch and then we cut our losses and switched it off. A quick trawl through Twitter confirmed our views. That said, I may check out the Harry Enfield episode though.

Well, I enjoyed it.

Yes. I enjoyed most of it too.

My dislike of Jack Whitehall clouded my judgement of this. He's not in all of these is he?

All of these sketches do you mean? Each week it's a different "Friend".

That's ok then, I might watch the next one. I did enjoy Walliams smacking his face though.

Yes, as Chappers says, a different one each week - this week should be very good as it is Harry Enfield, who I noticed is one of the script writers for the whole series. In one sketch I believe he plays the Queen who in a spoof of "Who Do You Think You Are" wonders why there are so many royalty in one's family tree. :D

Quote: Will Cam @ 29th November 2016, 11:08 PM

That's ok then, I might watch the next one. I did enjoy Walliams smacking his face though.

Yes that was good wasn't it and the fact that he kept on doing it!

Disappointing last night, especially considering Harry Enfield was the friend.

I didn't see the Whitehall one, although I'll try to catch it later
Enjoyed the Harry Enfield one
Always like to see Harry anyway

I like black.

Turned off after 5 minutes. The canned laughter being piped into the acts was so annoying. I do not need manufactured laughter to reinforce their attempts at humour. It was so unreal, a person turning a knob at each line to send recorded laughter into the sketch. Total rubbish and I like both these persons when they perform in front of a live audience. This was just a cheaply made show.