One Series Comedies Page 3

What did you guys think of Ambassadors (with Mitchell and Webb). I would have liked to have had another series. But as a one-off 3-episode thing, it was pretty good.

I really enjoyed it and would definitely have watched more.

A few more:
Odd Man Out - Made in the midst of Are You Being Served? as a sitcom for John Inman playing a very similar character. Also had Josephine Tewson in. Available on DVD.

Room Service - Jimmy Perry's attempt at writing without David Croft, set in a hotel. Also on DVD.

Big Top - More recent (2008 I think) sitcom set in a circus with quite a few big names.

More episodes of The High Life would've been great - the setting had a lot of other potential story arcs just waiting to be explored. Ronnie Barker's Clarence is another favourite, but as it was his final sitcom before he formally retired, I read somewhere that he forewarned viewers not to get too attached to the character as it wouldn't be going beyond six episodes - although not everyone's cup of tea, I enjoy the gentleness of it. I recall seeing a few episodes of Big Top - an interesting idea, but just didn't take to it.

Quote: WarmWasp @ 22nd February 2017, 7:35 PM

Five of my favourite comedy shows were sadly one series, though perfect in their one series entirity:

- The Armando Iannuci Show
- JAM
- Human Remains
- Nathan Barley
- Catterick

Every episode perfect. It's these one series shows which make me proud of the British comedy tbh. Unlike some of the tiresome 24-episode US series' which soon outlive their popularity and originality.

Great list. Some of my favourites as well. Was just rewatching Nathan Barley yesterday. Julian Barratt was so gorgeous and young! Catterick is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. So good.

Some of the shows above I haven't watched but have either read about or have some inkling about one or two. My question - Are posters sure they are not confusing series with serials? They are completely different things though often look similar in a half hour format.

IE. Some shows are only created as a single series with a definite end to that narrative even if it has six episodes. One of my favourites from this once more common format was Tutti Frutti I think early 90s.

Quote: Tursiops @ 30th January 2017, 10:15 PM

I seem to recall a few attempts around that time to make Enn Reitel a star. Another was Mog, written by Clement & la Frenais. He can't claim he didn't get the writers. But Mog ran to two series so I am drifting of topic.

A forgotten minor gem, I loved it, C&Laf's excursion into silly non serious subject comedy, it was a hoot.

Another Enn Reitel goody was Lucky Jim which also vanished without a trace since, and I'm pretty sure was just the one series unless I'm wrong. I'll look it up...

Enn Reitel did voices for Spitting Image and Canned Carrott and was also on Whose Line... I often use this fact to break the ice at parties. I dson't get invited to parties much.

I'd like to have seen more Whites and Campus

Mrs. Merton and Malcolm

Quote: WarmWasp @ 22nd February 2017, 7:35 PM

Nathan Barley

YES.

I remember Odd Man Out. I've watched it once and I thought it was bad. I don't think this suited John Inman at all. For me it was a utter disaster.

Bit of a tangent but just spotted that Tutti Frutti is currently on iPlayer.