New female stand-up comics?

I've always gravitated towards male stand-up comics as a general rule but it's not like I'm sexist in any way. My main reasoning is that a lot of female comics I've seen tend to base their sets around gender, weight or race. There's plenty of male comics who do exactly the same and I'm not a fan of those either, I guess there has just always been a lot more men on the comedy circuit. Shappi Khorsandi is one I've never took to for those reasons and Jo Brand isn't my cup of tea either. Recently I came across Bridget Christie after a recommendation from a female friend so I checked out some of her material and have read a few extracts from her book. This got me wondering what other female stand-up comics are on the circuit at the moment or who are up and coming. Are there any names that one can suggest so I can check out their work? I don't like one-liner acts, I prefer it when the comedian talks about those big issues but cleverly gets the laughs without having to be vulgar or harsh. Oh and yes, where do people usually pick up their comedy DVDs etc from? I tend to buy second-hand as it means I can afford to build-up my collection quicker. I've used http://www.used.forsale/comedy-dvd on quite a number of occasions.

Sara Pascoe, Aisling Bea, Katherine Ryan, and Susan Calman are the first ones that occur to me. But there's lots more you might like too. :)

Quote: zooo @ 21st October 2016, 9:19 AM

Sara Pascoe, Aisling Bea, Katherine Ryan, and Susan Calman are the first ones that occur to me. But there's lots more you might like too. :)

Ah ok cool, I'll go and check them out now and see what their materials like. Thanks for the suggestions.

I do actually recognise a few of those faces now I've looked them up. I've seen Sara Pascoe on Live At The Apollo and Susan Calman on QI. Katherine Ryan seems to be on quite a lot of British TV. I think I may have seen Aisling Bea before too. I haven't seen much stand-up from any of these guys though so I need to have a look at their sets & see if they float my boat.

Not sure if they ship to the US, but if you do move back to England I can highly recommend musicMagpie.

There's also CeX, but their products are far less reliable: more likely to be damaged and unplayable.

Sarah Millican is not bad.