What can 3 do best in a sketch?

What sort of things can 3 characters do in a sketch as opposed to two? Or, put another way, what capers can 3 get up to, that 2 couldn't (so well) ? For example, the classic Class sketch "I look up to him because he is upper class, but I look down on him because he is lower class" needs to have 3 characters, whereas I've heard many sketches where the third character's lines could really be spoken by one of the other two.

Two can join forces to gang up against the third. See the Marx Brothers and the Goodies. A third character can also be used to escalate any situation. Or the third may be a woman (among two men) or a man (among two women) and serve as a love interest between rivals. The possibilities are limited only by the writer's imagination.

For me, three is the perfect number of characters for a comic strip, and by extension for a sitcom.

All good example, Kenneth.

Quote: beaky @ 14th September 2016, 9:37 AM

For me, three is the perfect number of characters for a comic strip, and by extension for a sitcom.

So what do you particularly like about there being three?

Two people can be either arguing or in agreement about something, then the third puts an opposing view. Four people is too complicated, two is too simple. It works for me, anyway.

As the beak says: Two is too simple, three is best and four is too many*. That maxim also works well for writing. Find (google) a rhetoric textbook and check out "tricolon" -- the rule of three, then consider applying scesis onomaton (look it up) for a sketch.

* Of course there are exceptions and there's nought carved in stone.

There's a lot to be said for a threesome.

Some of the best trios had three members. I too, like three.

Quote: beaky @ 14th September 2016, 2:06 PM

Two people can be either arguing or in agreement about something, then the third puts an opposing view. Four people is too complicated, two is too simple. It works for me, anyway.

Most of my sketches start with 2 people taking opposing stances. Sometimes I drop in a 3rd because they can add jokes from a different angle, perhaps not understanding the issue under discussion. I call that Thesis, Anteithesis, and Whatisthis?

The iother reason I use three parts is if I think of loads of jokes relating to one side fo the argument, and it sounds weird for one person to trot them all out.

Of course, sometimes 3 people is fundamental to the sketch, but I'm assuming in that instance the OP's question would never be asked.

Quote: gappy @ 4th October 2016, 6:38 PM

Of course, sometimes 3 people is fundamental to the sketch, but I'm assuming in that instance the OP's question would never be asked.

No, that's the area I'm most interested in actually!

4 people could split into two groups of...er...just counting...two! But with 3, if the group splits up there is always incentive for the lone one to get back to the other two.