Death by nostalgia Page 2

I watched the new AYBS last night, followed by an original episode, and there was no comparison, the original was really funny, the new one a pale copy, and they must have mentioned the year about twenty times...

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 7th September 2016, 2:34 PM

Yes, that's right of course.

I go one further, I didn't watch it at all and I'm still moaning about it...

Laughing out loud

Yes, it's clear that you haven't watched them because the "Porridge" and "Goodnight Sweetheart" editions were indeed "What I would liked to have seen (and it is an opportunity lost) is remakes that put a new slant on the original."

Has this much heralded Sitcom Season been a success? It seemed a half hearted and rather flawed season to me, with the exception of Hancock, which was already tried and tested on Radio 4. A missed opportunity I think. More factual stuff and a look at less well remembered shows that were popular at the time would have been better. I liked some of the pilots and overall that seemed the best of it. But the much heralded remakes and reboots were in my opinion a waste of time. Just because Still Open All Hours is a success doesn't mean the general public are crying out for more. It is a very different beast and has the original writer and many of the original cast and still has some resonance.

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 18th September 2016, 10:38 AM

Just because Still Open All Hours is a success ...

I'm curious. I've not lived in London for over 20 years. Are most of the grocery stores, news agents, corner shops, still independently owned and operated? Or has there been an invasion of chain-stores, all selling the same processed crap at the same price? If so, is that an element of Still Open All Hours? Or is it just the big (and discount) supermarkets becoming more dominant in the UK?

I live in the North and the corner shop that sells all sorts is still thriving. Not as cosy and friendly as in the series, but then was it ever?

Yes - nothing to do with London. They're all owned by Asians nowadays.

Quote: Kenneth @ 18th September 2016, 1:04 PM

I'm curious. I've not lived in London for over 20 years. Are most of the grocery stores, news agents, corner shops, still independently owned and operated? Or has there been an invasion of chain-stores, all selling the same processed crap at the same price? If so, is that an element of Still Open All Hours? Or is it just the big (and discount) supermarkets becoming more dominant in the UK?

Both. The big supermarket chains all now have 'local' and 'metro' mini-store variations, but there are still many thousands of independent smaller newsagents and convenience stores the sort of size of Arkwright's across the country.

Glad to know the independent retailers are not just the stuff of fiction. In other countries, they are a dying breed.

I haven't seen any of the remakes (oh apart from Still Open All Hours) so I can't really have an opinion on their merits but I don't mind them being remade. There are always Shakespeare plays etc being remade to death and countless others, so why not TV shows? Do I like it? No. Do I have to watch them? No. Would I prefer original content? Yes. Do I ask myself too many questions? No comment.