The Guinness Brewing cartoons

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/beer-in-ads-special-edition-john-irelands-the-gentle-art-of-making-guinness/

In 1981, Guinness commissioned British illustrator and artist John Ireland to create twelve paintings whimsically depicting the steps that go into making Guinness beer for a calendar.

My Dad had a copy of that calendar and saved the cartoons and put them in a frame to give to me. It hangs on my wall. It is rigged so that I can move any of the pictures to the front for viewing, though I haven't swapped the front one for ages.

Anyway to go with the "Punch Cartoons" I thought it might be nice to show them here too one-at-a-time.

January: Hop Picking Time in the Guinness Fields

CoolLaughing out loudWave

Those I know not. But when I was in university college, it was der rigueur for fashionable students to have a classic Guinness print/poster on the wall, often alongside a Smiths poster. Been ages since I picked up and consumed a Guinness. The bottled Guinness in Malaysia had a cat instead of the old harp on the label, I recall.

Quote: Kenneth @ 7th September 2016, 5:46 AM

Those I know not. But when I was in university college, it was der rigueur for fashionable students to have a classic Guinness print/poster on the wall, often alongside a Smiths poster. Been ages since I picked up and consumed a Guinness. The bottled Guinness in Malaysia had a cat instead of the old harp on the label, I recall.

What's a Smiths poster? Something to do with the Book Shop?

Quote: Chappers @ 7th September 2016, 9:52 AM

Or a man with a branch stuck up his arse. :)

Quote: Chappers @ 7th September 2016, 9:52 AM

No connection to bookstores. The Bonzer Blacksmiths, better known just as the Smiths, were an Australian (originally New Zealand) jazz-punk fusion band of the late 70s and early 80s. They were a big hit on the university circuit, and coincidentally their drink of choice was Guinness.

Here's an example of a Smiths poster:

Hope that clears things up.

So nothing to do with Morrissey then.

Never heard of them and I don't think they ever did anything of note in the Northern Hemisphere.

Early Morning on the Guinness Farm

Here, the illustrator explains why it looks like Heath Robinson stuff: http://www.guinntiques.com/johnireland.aspx

Industry in the Guinness Maltings

Some of the contraptions also look reminiscent of Dr Seuss vehicles.

Roasting the Guinness Barley

The younger guy, operating the treadle, looks like Peter Davison in the sort of sleeveless sweater that he wore in All Creatures. He donned a similar sweater when interviewed alongside Pat Troughton.

Mixing the Guinness Mash

Filtering the Guinness Wort

Fermenting the Guinness

I think this is my favourite. :)