Young Hyacinth

Erm ... great period detail. No laughs though.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 2nd September 2016, 10:13 PM

This is exactly what I said to my wife LOL.

Quote: alan1967 @ 2nd September 2016, 10:15 PM

This is exactly what I said to my wife LOL

Thank goodness! I thought that it was just me being a complete curmudgeon.

The entire episode seemed to rely on the war wound joke, and Howard's accent went places throughout. It was quite impressive in spots where she hit the Patricia Routledge impression perfectly, but then I found myself thinking that she was too young to have that voice yet - that's a voice you mature into, surely?
Can't say I laughed at any point, but I did have a lot of dress envy, so I suppose that's something.

Only Hyacinth sounded like Hyacinth. Rose seemed quite similar, but Daisy and Violet could've been anyone. A disappointment.

They should have set it during the earlier years of Hyacinth's marriage. It would've been a far more entertaining prospect.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 2nd September 2016, 10:13 PM

I like light period drama so low lol count didn't bother me.

Quote: William Purry @ 3rd September 2016, 11:18 AM

I like light period drama so low lol count didn't bother me.

But surely isn't that the point of the show it wasn't set out to just be a period drama it was supposed to be a comedy, and it simply wasn't.

It could have been much better. Howard's accent was all over the place - at one point, when she and the actress playing Daisy were looking out of the window, the accent became Irish for some reason. Would it have made more sense for us to see more of Hyacinth 'learning' to be posh, acquiring nuances from the posh lady she was working for?

It always worked best when she had someone or something to react to. Sure, this is the supposed to be the beginnings of the character, but the plot (for what there was of it) just didn't seem to go anywhere.

I also got the impression from Keeping Up Appearances that Violet was someone who Hyacinth aspired to be like, whereas here Hyacinth seemed to disapprove of her. Maybe I'm wrong - trying to recall the last time I watched the original series!

Quote: Cicero84 @ 3rd September 2016, 12:16 PM

I also got the impression from Keeping Up Appearances that Violet was someone who Hyacinth aspired to be like, whereas here Hyacinth seemed to disapprove of her. Maybe I'm wrong - trying to recall the last time I watched the original series!

Partially. Adult Hyacinth aspires to Violet's money and what she believes is her luxury lifestyle. But when the money is taken away - when she's rowing with cross-dressing husband Bruce - there's all the disapproval and distaste that she showed for Onslow and Daisy.

I can't say I thought much to it either after being a fan of Keeping Up Appearances, it just wasn't funny at all. Where were the laughs? However, I thought Kerry Howard did a good job of playing Hyacinth - I really did believe that was Hyacinth in her younger days. I also thought Mark Addy played a believable role of Daddy. Other than that, I thought the script was really poor and I wouldn't want to see a full series.

I can see why Patricia Routledge disapproved of the project though, I expect she probably didn't enjoy watching it either (that's if she did watch it). On the plus side, it was good to re-watch the Comedy Connections episode of Keeping Up Appearances late last night on BBC One.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd September 2016, 12:49 PM

Partially. Adult Hyacinth aspires to Violet's money and what she believes is her luxury lifestyle. But when the money is taken away - when she's rowing with cross-dressing husband Bruce - there's all the disapproval and distaste that she showed for Onslow and Daisy.

Ah right, thanks Aaron!

Just to add my two penneth to this, I thought of all the reboots (possibly except GS), this was the one that could go furtherst. I thought the programme itself was very 'meh'.

However, I did really enjoy Kerry Howard (maybe that needs desperately rephrasing). I think "daddy" also did a good job. The rest, again, I'd say 'meh'.

Liked it a lot - Kerry Howard very good in the main role and all the other sisters were convincing. There were some laughs, particularly towards the end, situational mainly but also dialogue. I think it could have a short series of six. Roy Clarke at 86 is amazing.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd September 2016, 12:49 PM

Partially. Adult Hyacinth aspires to Violet's money...

I know what it mean but she's still an adult in this. Or never become an adult, depending on your viewpoint.