Writing team needed for puppet comedian

Hello there!

My name is Luke, I am a writer and primary performer for a puppet comedian and story-teller by the name of Paul.
Going into next year, we are looking to start building steam and taking our performance to bigger and better places. It's important to note that there is a lot of scope for variety- don't write for a puppet, just write for a comedian.

We've just had a shocker. We were headlining a show for the local festival as a comedy duo- 'Reuben and Paul'. The problem is, Reuben told us at 11pm the night before that he couldn't make it. Months of preparation scrapped and replaced by whatever I could come up with by dawn over a flask of strong coffee and rehearsed by 2pm the next day. To top it all, the gig was open air and the rain hammered our audience the moment we took the stage. Yes, it was a real shocker. Obviously, we are looking to build something better than that for ourselves.

Since we do a lot of private hire work for parties and events, we'd like to assemble a group of writers that can add to a collection of scripts that we can rely on for any occasion (as well as contribute to bigger gigs).
The way I see this working is thus: A writer submits a script, the whole team plays a hand in critiquing the script for added polish, then the writer(s) earn a commission for any time one of their scripts is used.
Obviously, we'd promote you via our website as a writer and provide references, etc.

To give a few ideas of the kind of things we'd like to include in our future repertoire:
- Stand up
- Sketch comedy
- Sitcom (we do plan to approach TV- probably starting internet based at first)
- Musical comedy
- Outlandish stories
- Use your imagination, we'll try anything once.

Any script or idea must, of course, involve Paul (who, for reference, is a fluffy, purple alien with quite a bit of energy).

Thanks to all those who may be interested, let's talk.

Where does Reuben come in?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th August 2016, 2:36 PM

Where does Reuben come in?

He doesn't anymore. The charm of working with Reuben is that he and Paul had such perfect chemistry on stage and improv flowed like a dream. Unfortunately, it was a pain getting him to rehearse with us leading up to our biggest show yet and- ultimately, he let us down hours before the gig. As much as I didn't want to admit it, he was unreliable and so Paul will now be more of a solo act with guests. It's important to mention that we do have other performers that join Paul on stage which I think will work better than a specific duo.

What is Paul's personality? Is he an English ALF? Does he do "blue" humour? Does he watch Dr Who with disdain? What are his quirks? What does he eat? How does his species reproduce? Is he realistically ignorant of Earth stuff (such as ET was) or is he cognizant with the culture, having viewed/read the entire internet?

And what sort of puppet is he? A Kermit style puppet? Or an ALF puppet/costume combo? Or a marionette? Or something else?

Quote: Kenneth @ 27th August 2016, 5:11 AM

What is Paul's personality? Is he an English ALF? Does he do "blue" humour? Does he watch Dr Who with disdain? What are his quirks? What does he eat? How does his species reproduce? Is he realistically ignorant of Earth stuff (such as ET was) or is he cognizant with the culture, having viewed/read the entire internet?

And what sort of puppet is he? A Kermit style puppet? Or an ALF puppet/costume combo? Or a marionette? Or something else?

Paul is quite accurately knowledgeable about most 'Earth things' however fails to understand (or possibly refuse to completely understand) some aspects of human culture. He sometimes benefits from an outsider's view. I've always imagined Paul enjoying Doctor Who since he is something of a bizarre storyteller, I doubt he'd focus on however unrealistic things are. Paul is the sort of character that would insist he'd travelled with the Doctor who was a shrew in disguise... or something.
Paul has used the technology of the day to his advantage so, for better or worse, learns a lot from the internet.
All that being said, I consider Paul his own person rather than a character that exists as and when needed. I say that because Paul's humour, like any comedian, should adapt to the occasion. We do a lot of family friendly gigs but we really shine for a more mature audience.

You can see what Paul looks like at the link below. http://www.iampaul.co.uk/selfies

And that was the end of that..Broken heart

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 13th December 2016, 4:53 PM

And that was the end of that..Broken heart

The end of what?

Jimmy Carr might be available?