BCG's new message board Page 8

Quote: DaButt @ 19th August 2016, 8:41 PM

I assumed he was pasting it into every post.

Signatures are no more, so in that case Herc you are way overegging your eggnog of eggerness to scramble the efforts of the eggcellent site masters.

As for the ice cream parlour, make mine a knickerbocker glory.

Quote: DaButt @ 19th August 2016, 8:41 PM

Do signatures even exist anymore? I assumed he was pasting it into every post.

Correct.

Quote: Mark @ 19th August 2016, 3:33 PM

Sorry about the speed of a couple of pages poeple... we are trying to improve this still! It's a tricky job!

Hercules, your comments are becoming increasingly annoying. I'm going to give you three very simple choices. Please pick one of these:

1. Leave. There's no point hanging around if you're not enjoying it. The 'Delete Account' button can be found here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/account/edit/

2. If you're not leaving, stop boring us with the "bring back the old boards" messages and accept that, whilst we are still working on changes to make this new version as pleasant as possible - no matter how many times you ask - we definitely will not be going back to the old system so there's no point asking any more.

3. Pay for our £4,000-a-year server bill. Then you can have a right to have a say in how we code things.

1. As explained elsewhere, I have too many fans of my Punch cartoons to let them down as have invested too much time in scanning/uploading of same.

2. I know you will not be going back to the old boards, that's a given and as I have also said elsewhere - it is your site and of course it is up to you and Aaron how it is laid out; but the message is A/ tongue in cheek and B/ not wanting you to get comfortable and think "Ah that's it, the dust has settled and everyone is now happy" - you wouldn't want that would you?
I think it is a pity that the signature has gone and will remove the message if it upsets you that much, but hope you don't mind if I retain the Hancock one.

3. Just bought a lottery ticket, will let you know after tonight.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Stone me what a life"

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 19th August 2016, 8:22 PM

I think putting it in your signature is a bit different from "keeping going on about it." Just because one system is bad it doesn't mean a new system is any better.

Thank you Paul, and exactly - freedom of speech and all that, but don't want me pips ripped off.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Stone me what a life"

Quote: Mark @ 19th August 2016, 3:33 PM

Sorry about the speed of a couple of pages poeple... we are trying to improve this still! It's a tricky job!

Yes, it does seem quite slow lately.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th August 2016, 10:06 AM

1. As explained elsewhere, I have too many fans of my Punch cartoons to let them down as have invested too much time in scanning/uploading of same.

https://wordpress.com

https://www.tumblr.com

https://www.instagram.com

Or this

When I'm on active threads and press the back button, I'm returned to the active threads page of the old boards, forever stuck at August 2nd. The only way to get back to the current page is to press the active threads button, which takes at least a minute to load, so I have to wait a minute between reading each thread, which is getting very tiresome...

Quote: beaky @ 20th August 2016, 1:26 PM

When I'm on active threads and press the back button, I'm returned to the active threads page of the old boards, forever stuck at August 2nd. The only way to get back to the current page is to press the active threads button, which takes at least a minute to load, so I have to wait a minute between reading each thread, which is getting very tiresome...

That is a very, very interesting bug. We'll look into it.

Quote: Aaron @ 20th August 2016, 1:40 PM

That is a very, very interesting bug. We'll look into it.

I thought it'd intrigue you! I'm using an iPad Air 2, if that's significant...

Quote: Nil Putters @ 20th August 2016, 11:48 AM

Yes, it does seem quite slow lately.

Sorry about that! There is nearly 2 million rows of data in our forum database now, which makes it hard to keep it running efficiently. Hopefully, following some changes this afternoon, 'Active Threads' is now quicker for everyone though!

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 19th August 2016, 8:57 PM

Signatures are no more.

Indeed. We had a fair bit of feedback on the old message board that people didn't actually like signatures, so we dropped them during this redevelopment.

They added to the length of pages (i.e. scrolling), slowed page load speeds, and frankly people got bored of seeing the same picture/quote over and over! (As much as I love Tony Hancock, I'm not sure I need to see him 5 times on one page).

Just to point out: Profile pages still let you express yourselves with lots of pictures and quotes!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th August 2016, 10:06 AM

3. Just bought a lottery ticket, will let you know after tonight.

Did you win Hercules?

Quote: beaky @ 20th August 2016, 1:26 PM

When I'm on active threads and press the back button, I'm returned to the active threads page of the old boards, forever stuck at August 2nd.

When you next see this page Beaky can you try hitting "Refresh" whilst you're still looking at it... it must be coming out of your cache, as it doesn't exist any more.

The speed is lightening fast now. Good job guys!!

Seems to be working well now. Well done!

Quote: Lee @ 21st August 2016, 7:37 PM

The speed is lightening fast now. Good job guys!!

Yes, loads better - in both senses! :D

Thanks!

Quote: Mark @ 21st August 2016, 7:32 PM

They added to the length of pages (i.e. scrolling), slowed page load speeds, and frankly people got bored of seeing the same picture/quote over and over! (As much as I love Tony Hancock, I'm not sure I need to see him 5 times on one page).

Can't believe that made that much difference to load speeds and added a bit of character to the poster's post whereas now it is sterile and bland, and how is the repeating of a photo in the signature any different from the avatar? Or are they going next..................

Quote: Mark @ 21st August 2016, 7:32 PM

Did you win Hercules?

You wouldn't have been posting this if I had as the takeover would have been swift. Pirate

"Stone me what a life"

The character should be in the post itself, not on the signature.

Quipped Leevil

Quote: Lee @ 22nd August 2016, 10:43 AM

The character should be in the post itself, not on the signature.

Quipped Leevil

:S Technically it is in the post as the "signature" is not official and is part of the post.

"Stone me what a life"