BCG Fantasy Premier League 2016/17 Page 25

you fielded 11 players.

I fielded 10. Firmino didn't play. You're going to argue the definition of "fielded" now, aren't you?

My last score where we played evenly with no chips was higher than his, so that is closing the gap.

He outscored you in December, January and February. He's outscored you in March, so far.

You're not closing the gap.

I'm telling you my ratio of playing footballers to score was the highest

That's like Germany losing the 1966 World Cup Final and saying, "Yeah, but we had more corners."

Who gives a shit?

Quote: don rushmore @ 16th March 2017, 10:30 PM

I fielded 10. Firmino didn't play. You're going to argue the definition of "fielded" now, aren't you?

Has someone hit you on the head with a hammer? You're not Liverpool FC. They didn't field him - you did. In this game you field a player if you own him and don't bench him. Firmino's sitting in the middle of your midfield. If you didn't want him to play you could have left him on the bench.

You, Gerry, and the other couple of people who put out 11 players thought it would give you an advantage in a potentially low-scoring game week. That's a reasonable assumption. It does mean that you have to stack up players from a limited range of teams though.

He outscored you in December, January and February. He's outscored you in March, so far.

You've probably forgotten but I passed Gerry in GW12. He had been 49pts in front of me at one point up until then. Going forward he passed me again and his lead hovered between +17pts and +55pts until GW24 when it shot up to +84pts and +121pts the following week. Since then his lead has been +105, 112, 112. Since he's played his triple captain chip and I haven't played mine I have to deduct 9pts (Aguero) which makes his last three scores +105, +103, +103. That is closing the gap.

He gained his 100+ point lead with a couple of unusual events - captaining Lukaku when he scored four and captaining Sanchez when he got a goal that he handled and a penalty in 97th minute which he only took because the designated penalty takers had been subbed off. These events happen. there's nothing to stop a similar event happening that goes in my favour and against Gerry gifting me lots of points.

That's like Germany losing the 1966 World Cup Final and saying, "Yeah, but we had more corners."

It's nothing like that and only a moron would think it's analogous. Being awarded corners has no bearing on future games. Fielding 11 players like you and Gerry did in a game week where only eight teams are playing out of twenty obviously means you're required to have a very high percentage of players from only a handful of teams. Some of which don't have very good fixtures going forward.

If you can get a good score (relatively) with comparatively fewer players then that puts you at an obvious advantage. For example I have active players for this game week from 11 different teams without making any transfers. You have only 7 - a consequence of you assembling eleven for last week.

It's time for my weekly guess at who Gerry's bought. He's made two transfers this week kids so I reckon he's sold Lallana and Smith and bought Sanchez and Valencia.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 18th March 2017, 1:28 AM

It's time for my weekly guess at who Gerry's bought. He's made two transfers this week kids so I reckon he's sold Lallana and Smith and bought Sanchez and Valencia.

It's a solid effort again, you're half right :)

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ 18th March 2017, 8:35 AM

It's a solid effort again, you're half right :)

I bet I know which half too as so far you've had an uncanny knack of selecting the same players as me. ;)

My defenders are playing a game of 'Last Man Standing'. The AOA chip will actually come to my rescue this week. Probably.

Lukaku left it late this week. Surprised Swansea couldn't score against that Bournemouth defence. Hoping for some joy today.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 19th March 2017, 8:23 AM

Lukaku left it late this week.

You can say that again. I thought here we go again, I give him a chance playing at captain once more and zilch - then he comes alive thank God.
BUT kept Boruc for Heaton and swapped Pieters for Mee - two great moves Herc. Angry

Boruc got a CS at least. BBC gave MOTM to Barkley but he didn't get any attacking points in the 4-0 win.

Slipped to third courtesy of Anton who is also up my arse in the H2H :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th March 2017, 11:29 PM

Slipped to third courtesy of Anton who is also up my arse in the H2H :(

That's how quickly a gap can be closed. That's why I think there's a lot to play for with still so many games left. Plenty of time for me to end up mid-table!

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 20th March 2017, 7:30 AM

That's how quickly a gap can be closed. That's why I think there's a lot to play for with still so many games left. Plenty of time for me to end up mid-table!

Is that a promise you won't try so hard next time then?

Still can't see me catching Gerry though. :(

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th March 2017, 9:23 AM

Is that a promise you won't try so hard next time then?

Still can't see me catching Gerry though. :(

It's like the EPL. A clear leader with the top four changing order every week. Anyone seen a plane flying outside their house asking them to quit?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ 20th March 2017, 7:30 AM

You're right of course but I have been guilty of seeing it as a two horse race between me and Gerry as everyone has been buying my players and me and Gerry are the only two with our January wildcards left.

Considering how badly my wildcards have worked out for me in the past it's probably not an advantage. In any case, two things will decide who catches Gerry if anyone - the next players we buy and blind f**king chance.

This Man

I won't insult Phil jones - he really is a too soft a target, but he presents a fantasy strategy that deserves a closer look: coverage. I own Phil jones but I never wanted him. I bought him to get United coverage as I couldn't afford Valencia. Since that time Valencia has scored a goal and got an assist and several clean sheets that Jones missed because he was injured or too fat. Including the Hull game where he limped off at 55 minutes. Over that time I convinced myself that I had United coverage, but I didn't really. Cheap defenders seem like a good idea but I think they're waste of money.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 21st March 2017, 6:10 PM

You're right of course but I have been guilty of seeing it as a two horse race between me and Gerry

Er yes, or possibly.