I want to move to Chicago or New York to do improv

I'm graduating in two years with an English Lit degree. Will have experience in improv and sketch performing but no real qualifications, and it's not like I can find anything substantial here. What do I do? How can I possibly get a Visa and be able to do what I love in two of the top improv scenes in America with no foundation? I know I'm good enough, or at least strong enough, to survive at a place like UCB or SecondCity. Any suggestions as to how to make it?

Pity your degree isn't in American.. you should have thought ahead.

Make your name in the UK first, then get a job offer in the USA. Many believe comedy and improve especially, requires cultural understanding, so if you can't do it in your own culture.... Gina Yashere , John Oliver etc... did it that way. The UK has an active improve circuit, start by winning a few competitions. Best of luck.

Marry a rich American. Or do what John Cleese did: Write and perform in a university revue which is so successful that you get invited to New Zealand and America. Then stay in America and do more stage stuff.

Seems a really weird question and one that seems to sum up "the Youth of Today."*

Firstly you presume that you will graduate.

Secondly you expect to do a marathon before you can toddle.

Most people pay their dues. Practice and then develop. Why can't you try in this Country's clubs first? What is so special about America? (Apart from it's bigger and you presume therefore more money there)

* Sorry but I am an old git.

You've certainly got confidence and an indomitable spirit, Tommy. Plus you've got youth on your side. Why not go to the US for a long holiday, check things out, meet people...they can advise you what to do. The best of luck!

Quote: Kenneth @ 13th July 2016, 3:24 PM BST

Marry a rich American. Or do what John Cleese did:

Marry three?