Directions in Script

Is it the norm to have directions in the script such as camera tilts, pans, frame description or should I leave that out when writing a pilot?

Ok so this seems about right -

Using camera directions is absolutely frowned upon. We know that ... Use camera directions rarely and only for a dramatic or comedic moment.

Perfect post. You've answered your own question.

The only camera directions I would consider using are 'crash zoom' or 'whip-pan' as these suggest comedic intent. Expect the director to do something different though, if it ever gets made.

The only other technical direction I think you should concern yourself with is a transition, which is best left as 'Dissolve to' or 'Mix to' and let the director decide how it's accomplished. But indicate if you want a cut instead of a dissolve.

That's right, GT. The very minimum. The only direction I ever use is ON (one of the characters) or CUT WIDE, for a reveal.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 3rd July 2016, 9:16 AM BST

Perfect post. You've answered your own question.

The only camera directions I would consider using are 'crash zoom' or 'whip-pan' as these suggest comedic intent. Expect the director to do something different though, if it ever gets made.

The only other technical direction I think you should concern yourself with is a transition, which is best left as 'Dissolve to' or 'Mix to' and let the director decide how it's accomplished. But indicate if you want a cut instead of a dissolve.

Thanks for the comment, I've been checking out BBC scripts from their online library, not sure if they are exact copies of the originals but they certainly help on how to format and what to include

Yes. I'm doing one at the moment where it's important to have a close up at the start of the scene and pan out to reveal.

Quote: Chappers @ 3rd July 2016, 11:44 PM BST

Yes. I'm doing one at the moment where it's important to have a close up at the start of the scene and pan out to reveal.

Exactly how one of my episodes starts.