The Comedy Store Players

Sitcomfan64

• Monday 6th June 2016, 8:22pm
  • England
  • 336 posts

I'm amazed there wasn't a thread about them already, legendary group as they are. Anyone got any good memories of seeing them? I've been three times in the last few weeks, fantastic everytime, I don't know how they do it! Josie Lawrence tends to be the standout I find, the imprvised songs alone are astonishing, and the chemistry between them is palpable.

TheBlueNun

• Tuesday 7th June 2016, 6:00pm
  • 2,505 posts

I saw them once at The Comedy Store back in the 1990s. I'm a huge fan of Paul Merton, so I was prepared to be generous(!) Were they any good? Well, they were OK, not hugely, side splittingly, pant wettingly funny, but I enjoyed it.

I went along with my friend, Beardy. He tried to kiss me afterwards. That's kind of tarred my memories of that particular evening ...

Sitcomfan64

• Tuesday 7th June 2016, 11:17pm
  • England
  • 336 posts

Yep, they are siply brilliant. I'm also a big Merton fan (must watch all of his sketch show one day), so at first I went mainly to see him. But then of course I found the whole troupe are so in tune with each other, trying to 'out-funny' the last person on stage. As I say, Josie Lawrence always impresses me the most, such a lightening quick wit (something Paul Merton used to be the one to beat, I'm still amazed sometimes when I see old episodes of HIGNFY and how quick of the mark Merton is). Plus it's nice to see him onstage with his wife Suki Webster.