Witless

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that this BBC3 online black comedy that is tucked away also on BBC1 late on Fridays doesn't have a thread, but I caught a glimpse of it and am now hooked as it is very good!

Two girls see a gangland shooting and are put into witness protection, and from then on it all goes pear shaped as one of the girls Rhona tries to cope with the mayhem that goes on all around her from people trying to find them, which is not helped by her air head ex flat mate Leanne that she was hoping to escape from by moving out and now she has no choice in having to continue to live with her - nice setup, as is the title Witless which everyone is and Witness.

Both girls (Kerry Howard and Zoe Boyle) are excellent in their parts and special mention should go to "Rodney Trotter's younger brother" Nicholas Fruin (DJ Sound as F***) as a schoolboy hood along with his cohort Appraisal played by Tom Cawte. Also Charlotte Eaton as the local fat slag Jackie - a Waynetta Slob for the 21st century and very funny.

My only reservation would be the waste of time "WitPro" video at the start of each one with John Inverdale - to me it is totally pointless and not funny at all. As a one off at the start of the first episode yes, but not every prog.

All episodes are on iPlayer - give it a look!

It's excellent. I highly recommend it. Great performances from both leads.

Quote: Woozie @ 20th May 2016, 9:23 PM BST

It's excellent. I highly recommend it. Great performances from both leads.

Yay! I was beginning to think I was the only person on here that watched it or I had dreamed it up, and yes it is excellent! So watch it people!

Great news about a second series. Well deserved.

Yes I agree, I too thought it was excellent. Brilliantly written and acted. Definitely looking forward to the second series, it would have been a crime not to do more after that cliffhanger of an ending.

Quote: G180e @ 22nd May 2016, 12:49 PM BST

Yes I agree, I too thought it was excellent. Brilliantly written and acted. Definitely looking forward to the second series, it would have been a crime not to do more after that cliffhanger of an ending.

That's not a cliff-hanger so much as a missing episode - I thought it was odd having only 5............I need to know what happens next!!

Excellent though, writing, acting and production.

Series 2 starts next Wednesday!

You beat me to it as I saw it mentioned on yesterday's BCG.......................

YES!!! Can't wait, if only to find out what happened in the "missing" episode six.

Series 2 was brilliant!, even better than the first. Lots of laughs, good characters and a strong plot.

They did a lot with a presumably low budget.

Yes, excellent second series, which I was going to watch on a weekly basis as you would normally do when you follow something, but got so engrossed in it I had to see the entire five new episodes. Now three cliff hangers!! I hope they resolve them in the not too distant future.

Lots of great comedy and nerve tingling scenes with a great sense of menace and humour all rolled into one. If you haven't seen it then do!! All ten episodes are still available on iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b08brzh8

I have to agree with, Hercules. Both series have been excellent, series two has been excellent so far (I've only seen the first three episodes yet). Great acting from both Boyle and Howard.

A third series is surely in the pipeline. Hopefully the series will get a mainstream repeat on BBC One again do that wider audiences get an opportunity to see this great series.

Just finished series two... It surely cannot end on a cliffhanger like that!!!

Aaron, please tell me a 3rd series is happening.

Quote: G180e @ 5th February 2017, 7:35 PM

Just finished series two... It surely cannot end on a cliffhanger like that!!!

I actually found that a real anti-climax. There's one thing ending on a bit of a cliffhanger but leaving the entire ending out is very dissatisfying. They have been building up to this moment in the last two episodes, getting us wondering what will happen and then they just end it completely unresolved for another series - if they get one (I'm sure they will). I felt a bit short-changed.

I think when you promise something, you should deliver it and if you want to add a twist at the end then fine but they got them in to all that peril and then pulled the plug.

Yes, with three cliff hanger ends this has got to be resolved otherwise it will be become tiresome, which is a shame as I have been enjoying what I have seen so far.

Surely they could conclude this tale and start the two girls off on some other adventure.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th February 2017, 7:20 AM

Yes, with three cliff hanger ends this has got to be resolved otherwise it will be become tiresome, which is a shame as I have been enjoying what I have seen so far.

Surely they could conclude this tale and start the two girls off on some other adventure.

Or have a twist at the end but give us the end. Don't build up everything to boiling point and then just quit there. It's like going to Big Ben on New Year's Eve, hearing the dongs but not getting any fireworks.