Upstart Crow - Series 1 Page 6

That Macbeth episode was the best of the series. Loved the whole thing, hopeful for a second series.

Macbeth was fun. Not much more I can say, really. It's a good, simple knockabout show, I definitely don't fall into the "Elton should never work again" camp, and neither will I be clamouring for another series (they'll start to run out of easily understood Shakespeare refs soon, I suspect).

Yes, finally, the Macbeth episode showed what the series could have been. Shame.

An episode from the series shows what the series COULD have been? Doesn't make sense, ip.

I think what italophile means is that they could each have been more clearly defined as being based on Shakespeare's plays, which I think was the original premise that plots for plays were "presented" before him although he could not see it at the time, and I have to agree slightly that it was one of the better ones inasmuch that it was clear where/what it was based on.

The first one was also very good in that it was clearly Romeo and Juliet, but the rest............nah - only if you knew your Shakespeare well.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th June 2016, 9:35 AM BST

An episode from the series shows what the series COULD have been? Doesn't make sense, ip.

Hercules got it. The Macbeth episode exploited the series' potential. Instead of the usual cheap gags - take a modern insult, add a period-sounding suffix, etc - the Macbeth ep played with the possible origins of the play we now know, paying off with Shakespeare completely unaware of the dramatic possibilities. His missus provided the impetus.

But it's all cheap, italophile. It's all been done before.

I've tried, but can't warm up to this one at all. Huge fan of David Mitchell, but the audience noise pulls me right out of it.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 11th June 2016, 4:05 PM BST

But it's all cheap, italophile. It's all been done before.

Hasn't everything been done before?

Quote: italophile @ 12th June 2016, 9:02 AM BST

Hasn't everything been done before?

Good point.

Underwater mud wrestling?

I'm not sure a second series is on offer is it? I thought it was a one off single series anniversary sitcom. ? Although based on the products so far I can't see why this can't go on, only seen three eps but have been very impressed with them, despite wishing it wasn't so Eltony in places.

Herc and Italy make good points about what's worked best but I'm not sure simply raiding the Bard's plays for every episode is a justified or writerly way of doing it. It would be slated by comedy purists. Elton could do a mid career and/or late career version to squeeze at least another series in and get away with couple more play pastiches in each, but it may then make Blackadder seem far too condensed and short lived in comparison. And there's no getting away this is very Blackadder and Elton's reusing whole chunks of his previous sitcom in this which again is an act frowned upon by writers and purists.

Quote: Woozie @ 7th June 2016, 9:30 PM BST

That Macbeth episode was the best of the series. Loved the whole thing, hopeful for a second series.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 12th June 2016, 8:27 PM BST

I'm not sure a second series is on offer is it? I thought it was a one off single series anniversary sitcom. ?

I think so. Part of the Shakespeare anniversary celebrations.

Lovely Elizabethan woodcut titles!

Quote: beaky @ 13th June 2016, 10:49 AM BST

Lovely Elizabethan woodcut titles!

Yes, I too am impressed with these - they make me smile. :)