Upstart Crow - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Woozie @ 22nd May 2016, 9:30 AM BST

Neither of which are studio sitcoms. Different dynamics, uncomparable.

Is there such a word?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 22nd May 2016, 12:06 PM BST

it was defiantly being an sas in a sea of trendy single cam comdrams, despite it being terrible.

Don't understand this either.

Yes, uncomparable is a word despite the red line that marks it. Uncomparable are two things that cannot be compared while incomparable means that they are beyond comparison, usually due to quality or quantity.

I thought the third episode was just as good as the others but there was some rough editing in this one in particular and I can't help but feel Harry Enfield is wasted in that role. Overall, still loving it though.

Slightly better than last week, which makes me think they put the best one on first to get people hooked

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th May 2016, 9:29 AM BST

Slightly better than last week, which makes me think they put the best one on first to get people hooked

Totally - but a tactic that will ultimately backfire.

Of course they can justify because if the first one was shite, nobody (or very few) would bother to see if the next one was better - but if it were a wine you were tasting and the bottle didn't live up to the first few sips, you'd send it right back.

I've not really found much to enjoy in this show. It is very knowing and a bit tiring.

Not a very good review in the paper today. Picked up on the repetitive gags.

I presume this was supposed to be the first episode. Hmmm, I quite enjoyed the "first" one, but am pretty bored with it, now. Pity.

Finally saw it, think it was Ep4 last night. Surprised how good it was, gave it 8/10 even though it was a tad uneven and seemed very Blackadder. Bits could have been better like the ending which looked a bit rushed but the funny bits were very funny, like the rack scene. Elton's writing seems to be back in that snappy groove. Has it been this good every week? I will iPlayer it if it has.

The Gervais parody is actually pretty clever but I felt there were a few too many characters doing very little. Elton seems to have done his research on the history but taken liberties with the characters. He's gone for Greene as the villain with an unlikely puritanical streak and Marlowe as the best mate whose relaxed amiable character couldn't be further from the supposed truth, the most notorious character of the era according to the history books.

Thought it was back on track last night with a quite funny episode and am enjoying the "olde English" for procreation etc. like Shakespeare's lengthy explanation of him and his wife having it off and making his daughter feel sick at the thought - clever. :D

But the star for me is Mark Heap - superb! His strangled explanations of plots and plotting never fails to make me laugh.

IT was dreadful

The show is bloody atrocious

I cracked a half smile at one stage last night

That was it

Call me old fashioned but I like sitcoms that me make laugh

Out loud

ITS NOT FUNNY!!!!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st May 2016, 9:30 AM BST

Thought it was back on track last night with a quite funny episode and am enjoying the "olde English" for procreation etc. like Shakespeare's lengthy explanation of him and his wife having it off and making his daughter feel sick at the thought - clever. :D

But the star for me is Mark Heap - superb! His strangled explanations of plots and plotting never fails to make me laugh.

I thought ep 4 was a big improvement over the previous 2 as well. It was based on something solid from Shakespeare's life, which I think helped, and it just had better jokes in general.

Still hardly mind-blowing, but a good watch, and has enticed me back to watch the last 2, when I'd been about to give up.

Enjoyed last night's, especially the Italian alternative comedy improv. (One wonders if Elton was having a dig his own 1980s self, when comedy lost its way.) - All round good performances with special mention for Mark Heap who I think, as usual, is brilliant in this. :D

I do watch it every week although it's not perfect.

I still cannot understand the point of the Gervais character - totally unnecessary and pointless.

And yes I agree Mark Heap is the highlight. I think I've loved most of his work - especially Green Wing.

Quote: Chappers @ 7th June 2016, 10:52 AM BST

I do watch it every week although it's not perfect.

I still cannot understand the point of the Gervais character - totally unnecessary and pointless.

And yes I agree Mark Heap is the highlight. I think I've loved most of his work - especially Green Wing.

No, it's not perfect, but I enjoy it, and with regards toe Mark Heap in Green Wing..........the scene after he was told that some nurse/doctor (?) would fancy him if he played his pan-pipes to her and he then later leapt out of the cupboard dancing in just his underpants playing the pipes is one of the funniest things I have ever seen! Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Completely took me by surprise (as the lady was) and I was in hysterics. VERY, VERY FUNNY

Yes, 4th episode was back on track with a little more than knob jokes for a change. Mark Heap appreciator here too - don't forget him in Friday Night Dinner!