Upstart Crow - Series 1 Page 2

It's got a clever script ... hopefully it will grow on me?

Rob Rouse, as always, was terrible.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 10th May 2016, 10:08 PM BST

Bit wooden maybe but not terrible and he had the best joke imo, which appealed to my base English toilet humour and had me burst out laughing.........

"If she leaves one hanging in a room, you're still chewing it and hour later"

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Doubly funny when he is talking about a fair maiden dropping it.

All in all I thought the whole thing was excellent - well done Mr Elton and cast!!

After reading the reviews on here I did expect it to be quite a bit funnier
But it wasn't too bad, and did have a decent cast.

I thought that was decent, I do enjoy broad humour when it's done well. There were a few clunkers and worn out gags in there, but most of it raised a smile. Some good Shakespeare gags peppered in there too.

Also, unlike most people, I thought playing Will Kemp as Gervais was really funny.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 10th May 2016, 9:16 PM BST

Why was there so much canned laughter used throughout?

Are you trying to raise my ire?

I did think it was very good but the laughter didn't seem to be "real" to me.

Also a great cast but I didn't like the bloke doing the Ricky Gervais impression.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th May 2016, 7:34 PM BST

I did think it was very good but the laughter didn't seem to be "real" to me.

Agreed...yet there were several moments where the actors did false starts of line which rather suggested otherwise, to my shock.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 10th May 2016, 10:08 PM BST

Really? My family and I thought he was the best part of the show.

As childish as it may seem the line "what a wankington" made me spit my drink out

What with Ben Elton's glory days seemingly long behind him, it had the potential to be a bit of a car crash. However, it wasn't actually that terrible.

Fairly amiable, couple of good laughs and some good performances. I do fear that the Gervais character is going to get rather tiresome though. Think he would have been better as a one off character.

Well. Mixed feelings. A good set up, David Mitchell seemed born to play Shakespeare and the Shakspearian language was well written.

But

I appreciate it's a broad, farcical sitcom, but some of the jokes were so painfully obvious. I mean a master-bater joke? And if the Ricky Gervais impressionist is a major character throughout, I won't be able to continue with it. It's amazing how much he managed to irke and annoy in a single scene.

That said, I'll watch next week's, I always give a new sitcom two episodes to start with.

^ what he said

Will reserve judgement on this. Early days. I don't actually like the period it's set in which might be clouding my views. I have no Idea why Harry Enfield is in it.

I don't get the love for this. Sub-Blackadder pantomime. No wit, no finesse, and David Mitchell proving he's a sketch actor at best.

What a load of utter crap. Awful rubbish. Same old faces getting more work from their mates, same old tired writers getting primetime sitcoms even after a shuddering failure. Haven't seen it yet, I'll watch it later when I'm not busy stabbing myself in the head with a pitchfork. Angry