Upstart Crow - Series 1

Mitchell never fails to deliver and supporting cast and script totally worthy.

Good to see Mark Heap in quite a different TV role.

Overall - British comedy at its best. Elton still rocks.

Cool

Just seen it, still laughing. The Wright Way is gone and forgotten, Ben Elton's back with a vengeance! A cracking script mining the same Blackadder seam. Marvellous stuff!

Really excellent. Educational, too.

I liked it all apart from the David Brent impression. That just felt really out of place and odd to me.
The rest was fun though.

Quote: zooo @ 9th May 2016, 11:19 PM BST

I liked it all apart from the David Brent impression. That just felt really out of place and odd to me.

Agreed - didn't need it but can let it go in context of what was otherwise superb.

Am actually relieved about this whole show to be honest. Reason I joined this forum in first place is because of my love of comedy and how it affects our behaviour and the way we view and deal with challenges in life.

But new comedy has been pedestrian at best recently and we're better than that - and this one could potentially become another classic we are watching over and over in 20 years time. :O

I, of course, absolutely loved this. A very funny episode and what looks set to be a real cracker of a series. Great gags, big laughs, and all-out comedy. Just what British TV needs much, much more of.

Very clever script and very well acted, looking forward to the rest of the series :)

Reviews today are great - top marks all round, and I hope they read this forum too.

All seem to be making comparisons to Blackadder for obvious reasons, but I tried to view in its own right (and his manservant is nothing like Baldrick) as it is strong enough to stand alone.

My Father had the entire set of Blackadder on his bookshelf which I remember occupying most of it, and for however many they made, the standard was maintained which I think is quite rare for any show with such longevity . . . and though I tend to only buy stand-up comedy on DVD rather than sitcoms (I think I only own Spaced, Alan Partridge and Lead Balloon) I hope Upstart Crow also endures as a new classic, so it can take up residence on my shelves at some point too.

When I watched it, Blackadder didn't even enter my mind.

Yes, I agree, it didn't feel like Blackadder. The only similarity was the 'feel' of the sets.

I've sure I've heard that name Kate before. What's it short for?

I spent the whole half hour transfixed by Mitchell's MASSIVE slap head

Showed promise. Always great to see Harry Enfield. Paula Wilcox, what the heck is she taking?, eternal youth in a bottle?

Why was there so much canned laughter used throughout?

Brilliant.
Loved it.
Very much looking forward to seeing more.
I hope the series has very distinct plots.