The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 55

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 29th November 2020, 11:08 PM

He visited my school as the Green Cross Code Man around 1985/86. I've always remembered "look left, look right, look left again".

Talking of Star Wars as we were, the other crossing the road advice at the time...................

"Stop, Luke and Listen"

Peter Alliss, "the voice of golf", age 89.

So many of the BBC commentators were the "voice of" - remembering Whispering Ted Lowe, the voice of snooker.

Rest In Peace Mr. Alliss

I don't play golf, but i really enjoyed listening to Peter Allis commentating on the majors. So sad to hear he has died.

RIP

Quote: playfull @ 7th December 2020, 12:43 AM

I don't play golf, but i really enjoyed listening to Peter Allis commentating on the majors. So sad to hear he has died.

Ditto, it's one of those sports that is lovely to watch on a Sunday afternoon, with the volume just audible as you float in and out of consciousness' after a pleasant meal with a glass or two of plonk.

Ahhhhh, and relax....................... Sleepy

RIP Chuck Yeager, the first pilot to break the sound barrier. (97)
What a life.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th December 2020, 8:24 AM

RIP Chuck Yeager, the first pilot to break the sound barrier. (97)
What a life.

What a cheek you mean.

Yeah, he did that on British technology that the Yanks never reciprocated after we gave them what we knew, developed by Frank Whittle. Bastards. Angry

RIP Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle, OM, KBE, CB, FRS, FRAeS 9 August 1996,

He was a brave man though just like the astronauts that came after.They used German technology,didn't they ? :)
RIP Chuck.

Quote: john tregorran @ 8th December 2020, 9:32 PM

He was a brave man though just like the astronauts that came after.They used German technology,didn't they ? :)
RIP Chuck.

RIP? What about the sonic bang?

Quote: john tregorran @ 8th December 2020, 9:32 PM

RIP Chuck.

Yeah, Yeager used a rocket plane to break the sound barrier, so it's more German technology than British. Herc would probably be disappointed to hear that his British inventor lived out the remainder of his life in the United States and married an American.

Quote: DaButt @ 8th December 2020, 10:00 PM

Yeah, Yeager used a rocket plane to break the sound barrier, so it's more German technology than British. Herc would probably be disappointed to hear that his British inventor lived out the remainder of his life in the United States and married an American.

I did know that - perhaps his wife insisted they live in the US or the American government threw so much money at him to develop the engine for them, a la von Braun, he couldn't resist as we, the British, have an annoying habit of inventing/developing things and then give them to the world gratis, which they go on to make oodles of money with.

According to the documentary I watched about a couple of years ago on the history of the jet engine - the British had their own "Bell X-1" but the Yanks wouldn't cooperate in swapping technology so we could improve it after we gave them all we knew.

On a tenuous link - when I was a boy there was a local man who was completely nuts (as they said then)
He rode a bicycle with no tires and you could hear him coming for miles.
If you caught his eye, he would immediately stop and talk to you.
He always mentioned how he had designed the Harrier jump jet but had his plans stolen.
He was nicknamed Johnny Jet and everyone knew of him.

It turned out that he went to school with a lad called Fozzard and they both worked at Hawker Siddley.
Johnny Jet had a complete breakdown and never worked again and Fozzard took over his designs and was credited with the invention.

I bet Fozzard was a Yank. :P

Barbara Windsor.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th December 2020, 9:06 AM

Barbara Windsor.

You're too late, and she deserves more than a passing mention in the general RIP thread

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/35925/