The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 24

Quote: DaButt @ 21st February 2019, 6:38 PM

Peter Tork of The Monkees has passed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47319788

Gutted. R.I.P.

Quote: DaButt @ 21st February 2019, 6:38 PM

Peter Tork of The Monkees has passed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47319788

Peter Tork was always my favourite Monkee when I was very young, cos he was like the Tim Brooke-Taylor of the group. Then, Micky Dolzenz, mainly because I was misinformed he was their main songsmith (and later because of disbelief that he was responsible for Metal Mickey). In 1988, when Run-DMC covered Mary Mary, I looked at the credits and realized Wool Hat had probably always been the most talented.

When the idea of "The Monkees" - a fictional pop group in a TV sitcom - first occurred to TV producers, the idea was to cast the genuine group "The Lovin' Spoonful" as the fictional Monkees.

Unfortunately for the Spoonful, they had conflicting contractual commitments and so were unable to accept the roles.

The four guys who were then selected to be The Monkees were certainly not the greatest musicians in the world (Mickey Dolenz had to learn how to play the drums from scratch in order for him to be filmed as the drummer sitting behind the drums doing things that a drummer might reasonably do while drumming) but that didn't really matter because the group was fictional.

When they became one of the major pop successes of the Swinging 60s, it must have come as a tremendous shock to everybody concerned.

Whoever cast the boys as the group really deserves a medal: each one of them was great in his own way.

RIP Davy and Peter.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd February 2019, 2:10 PM

RIP Davy and Peter.

Davy Jones has a small garden dedicated to him at Lingfield Racecourse (where he once rode a winner), which I always ensure I visit when in attendance.

Similarly I always take the opportunity to pay my respects at Dusty Springfield's grave when in the Henley on Thames area.

Andre Previn R.I.P.

"I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order..."

RIP Conductor Andre Preview. I don't think I was ever on one of his buses though.

RIP Great man, great loss.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th February 2019, 10:33 PM

RIP Conductor Andre Preview. I don't think I was ever on one of his buses though.

I travelled often on his buses.

They always made the right stops, but not necessarily in the right order.

Sad news. I never met him even though I did meet Glenda. As someone who has almost succeeded in listening to every piece of music that has ever been recorded, I would recommend the second movement from Vaughan Williams's 2nd symphony as his highlight.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 28th February 2019, 11:10 PM

Sad news. I never met him even though I did meet Glenda. As someone who has almost succeeded in listening to every piece of music that has ever been recorded, I would recommend the second movement from Vaughan Williams's 2nd symphony as his highlight.

Glenda Previn?

I am in fact a big fan of one of his earlier wives - Dory Previn - who unfortunately died a few years ago.

You probably haven't heard of him but Jules Fothergill, guitarist with Northsyde has passed away. He was a very great underrated guitarist. He really should've got more recognition for his talent. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmjxsx_Sbx0

Luke Perry (actor) passed away at age 52. Did 90210 air in the UK? It was huge here. People always accuse me of naming my kids (Dylan and Kelly) after 90210 characters, but they were both born before the show debuted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47448666

Quote: DaButt @ 4th March 2019, 6:13 PM

Luke Perry (actor) passed away at age 52. Did 90210 air in the UK?

Yes, I think it aired here in the 1990s.

I certainly remember seeing the title "Beverly Hills, 90210" and assuming it was set in Beverly Hills, California in the year 90210.

After watching a couple of minutes of Episode 1, I was scratching my head and thinking "America doesn't seem to have changed much in 88,000 years".

I immediately realised my mistake and turned it off.

To this day, I still don't know what the number 90210 refers to.

It's the zip (postal) code for Beverly Hills.

I watched It a few times because of Shannen Doherty but remember she wasn't very popular at the time. I can't remember if it was because of her character or if she really wasn't a nice person. I remember the ambulance chasing media making a big fuss over Luke Perry's addiction issues.