The all in one consolidated RIP thread Page 23

This is true, but by God, don't you milk t! For God's sake, it was FIFTY-TWO years ago. Are you even that old?

Quote: Briosaid @ 17th February 2019, 10:32 PM

This is true, but by God, don't you milk t! For God's sake, it was FIFTY-TWO years ago. Are you even that old?

Chappers is NEARLY as old as me, at least so he says but I think he's older. Eh? - by the way it was my birthday two days ago, but nobody picked it up like they did in the old days........................where's the old crowd gone Mummy? :(

Aw. Happy birthday belated.

Fankoo............. Teary

That's what makes it so memorable. Every 4 years I worry that they might win it again (although I don't think I need worry too much) and so diminish the achievement - and the memories - of 1966. The days when World Cup Willies were everywhere (# dressed in red, white & blue, he's...#).

Quote: Briosaid @ 17th February 2019, 11:52 PM

Aw. Happy birthday belated.

I've just realised it was you who started my Happy Birthday thread...................................also a day late. Laughing out loud

Thank you Keewik

I watched it at the time - and I'm sure you're just as old Brio!

If you've had it flaunt it. What have Scotchland achieved in the World Cup? Good matches against Brazil and Holland. I do seem to remember that they were unbeaten in the 1974 tournament though.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th February 2019, 11:16 PM

I watched it at the time - and I'm sure you're just as old Brio!

If you've had it flaunt it. What have Scotchland achieved in the World Cup? Good matches against Brazil and Holland. I do seem to remember that they were unbeaten in the 1974 tournament though.

I am as old but I certainly didn't watch it - football? I'd rather watch knitting championships and that would be boring enough. Scotland doesn't need to win - they just enjoy themselves and glory in being regarded as good fans, not bloody yobbos who need to rip things apart (apart from English goalposts many years ago. Laughing out loud)

Many years ago, I was on a school trip to the Highlands of Scotland and, as we were walking along, a group of local youths must've heard our English accents. They shouted "Bannockburn!"

Not to be outdone, one of my more studious companions immediately responded by shouting "Killiecrankie!"

And that was long before Google existed!

To keep this post on topic, I would like to say RIP all who perished in those battles.

RIP George Mendonsa aged 95...............who?

He's the sailor in the iconic photo taken in Times Square at the end of WWII. The nurse was Greta Friedman who died a couple of years ago aged 92 and says she never minded. The lady's face you can just see smiling behind his right shoulder and right of the sailor in white was his wife who also didn't mind.

He says he was kissing many people in exuberance that the war was over, and he didn't have to face it anymore - a simple act of sheer joy that today would have her in therapy and suing him, and him arrested for sexual harassment.

What sad times we live in.

Police in Florida are now looking for the vandal who painted "MeToo" on the leg of the nurse in the "Unconditional Surrender" statue, which makes it even sadder.

All I can say to those people AND the ones who threw white paint on the Bomber Command Memorial in London is get a f**king life you cretinous saddos!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th February 2019, 9:44 AM

Police in Florida are now looking for the vandal who painted "MeToo" on the leg of the nurse in the "Unconditional Surrender" statue

For anybody who may not know, the statue is a three-dimensional representation of the kissing couple shown in the famous photograph.

I would be absolutely stunned if the graffiti artist intended to denounce the image of the sailor kissing the girl. My personal take on the graffiti is that it's an absolutely fabulous satirical indictment of the moaning Minnies who have latched on to the #metoo movement.

In fact, regardless of the graffiti artist's intentions, it serves as such an indictment.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 9th February 2019, 7:50 AM

Yeah it's not Wendy Craig either is it. I've always been bad with names. Anyway thanks for the link it's available but it seems only as Region One. Been meaning to change my DVD player to Region free so might have to.

If you want to see Wendy Craig again, she's currently in The Worst Witch...and doing a grand job. Still has her cute little turned-up nose and quirky personality. I'm always very pleased to see actors like Wendy, who continue working through their older years. (original Butterflies viewer, here)

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 20th February 2019, 10:07 AM

If you want to see Wendy Craig again, she's currently in The Worst Witch...and doing a grand job. Still has her cute little turned-up nose and quirky personality. I'm always very pleased to see actors like Wendy, who continue working through their older years. (original Butterflies viewer, here)

Remember going to the cinema to see whatever and the B film (second feature) was "Just Like A Woman" - a typical early/mid 60s scatty romp and there in all this melee was (WELL HELLO! You naughty person - I'm the knickers inspector) this bubbly red haired dolly bird and I instantly fell in love with her. Lovey

And yes, that's Clive Dunn playing a ...............German.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th February 2019, 9:44 AM

RIP George Mendonsa aged 95...............who?

He's the sailor in the iconic photo taken in Times Square at the end of WWII. The nurse was Greta Friedman who died a couple of years ago aged 92 and says she never minded. The lady's face you can just see smiling behind his right shoulder and right of the sailor in white was his wife who also didn't mind.

He says he was kissing many people in exuberance that the war was over, and he didn't have to face it anymore - a simple act of sheer joy that today would have her in therapy and suing him, and him arrested for sexual harassment.

What sad times we live in.

Police in Florida are now looking for the vandal who painted "MeToo" on the leg of the nurse in the "Unconditional Surrender" statue, which makes it even sadder.

All I can say to those people AND the ones who threw white paint on the Bomber Command Memorial in London is get a f**king life you cretinous saddos!!

I'd heard of this great photo but never seen it until now. It is an absolute stunner, up there with the Ruskie hoisting the soviet flat in Berlin. Sailors looking very sailory in the background, iconic street setting, huge giants of buildings framing it, the joy of the occasion. Represents he complete opposite of these mean spirited social warriors. Warriors my arse, social wankers is the right term.

Peter Tork of The Monkees has passed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-47319788