Victoria Wood (Series)

I'm surprised this series didn't have a thread. Six different stories, Mens Sauna Thigummy Doodah, Live With Pam, The Library, We'd Quite Like to Apologise, Val de Ree and Staying In. So many classic lines. Hopefully it'll be repeated soon.

I can remember watching this series when it was originally transmitted. To me it seemed like Victoria Wood was acting out what she thought of libraries, dating agencies, airports, health farms and youth hostels etc instead of telling us about them in a stand up comedy routine.

Enjoyed it especially the camping episode that also starred Joan Sims as one of the staff at the youth hostel. I bought the 2 VHS releases of it and waited for what seemed a lifetime for a DVD release but it finally was released.

I saw the library one and the youth hostel one repeated somewhere a few months ago. So, so funny.
I watched a lot of Victoria Wood stuff growing up, but I'm not sure if this was one of them.
I have the sudden urge to buy everything Victoria ever made.

Ooh, it's only £6 on Amazon. (It's called Victoria Wood Presents.)

Quote: marac @ 1st May 2016, 2:34 PM BST

I can remember watching this series when it was originally transmitted. To me it seemed like Victoria Wood was acting out what she thought of libraries, dating agencies, airports, health farms and youth hostels etc instead of telling us about them in a stand up comedy routine.

Yes she knowingly chose the far superior comedy form when her status afforded her the opportunity. Probably the best bits of all her shows were the minisitcoms like Acorns Antiques, better than most full half hour sitcoms.

It inspired Gervais to do a similar thing within Extras and again the parody mini sitcom was probably the most popular part of that show.

Both were naturally good performance writers though, which is what sitcom requires. Stand-ups usually fail at sitcom as we keep seeing these days.

They repeated quite a few on GOLD a couple of years ago. They were still amusing, but not in the same league as the fabulous dinnerladies IMHO.