Lesser known sitcoms starring sitcom greats Page 4

Peggy Mount in Lollipop Loves Mr Mole. WTF???????!!!!!!!!!!! Teary

The Young Ones was ballistic but how many people remember A Small Problem or Roll Over Beethoven? There was also Al Fresco, a sketch / sitcom hybrid. If you like sketches you won't like it, but if you like sitcoms, you won't like it. Because it's crap. Strange considering the calibre of the performers.
Slightly off topic but I've been digging out some old Tales of the Unexpected and there are some fascinating sitcommer appearances: Kurt and the Yank from Fawlty Towers, Miriam Margoyles, Richard Briers, Patricia Routledge, Jim Broadbent...

The yank from FT was in Star Wars too!

"Captain Solo I want a Waldorf salad!!"

"Apples, celery, walnuts, grapes!"
"... I know."
"And mayonnaise!"

Easily by a long and way shot and half the worst episode.
Not really a sitcom but one of the house band in the much maligned Hello Mum found success writing for Mr Bean.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 5th April 2021, 1:40 PM

The Young Ones was ballistic but how many people remember A Small Problem or Roll Over Beethoven? There was also Al Fresco, a sketch / sitcom hybrid. If you like sketches you won't like it, but if you like sitcoms, you won't like it. Because it's crap. Strange considering the calibre of the performers.
Slightly off topic but I've been digging out some old Tales of the Unexpected and there are some fascinating sitcommer appearances: Kurt and the Yank from Fawlty Towers, Miriam Margoyles, Richard Briers, Patricia Routledge, Jim Broadbent...

Peter Sallis, Last of the Summer Wine....

Phwoar.

David Tennant in Duck Patrol.

Reg Varney and June Whitfield in Beggar My Neighbour? I would love for the surviving episodes to be put onto DVD, like they did with Not In Front of the Children.

Frankie Howerd in Whoops Baghdad

I would have also said Son of the Bride starring Mollie Sudgen and Terry Scott but it was destroyed all 6 episodes, would have liked to have seen this!

David Jason in Lucky Feller

I guess one of my personal favourites Happy Families qualifies. Incredibly overlooked when you consider its YoungOnesEsque cast list.

Damn right it's overlooked

It's £100 on Amazon

It never got an official release while crud like Filthy Rich and C**tflap did. The UK Gold repeats were butchered to leave space for ads, and that was the version used for a bootleg DVD. Shame.

Seriously though, I can't recommend Happy Families enough. An awesome show where the Young Ones tamed the fart and wank gags and created interesting plots and strong characters. Love it.