Ok to write about people without permission?

Is it ok to include stories and pics of other people in a factual book without permission?

It doesn't sound a very good idea. If someone objected, they'd probably have to withdraw the book.

A 'friend' has included some stories about me and my OH in his latest book. Nothing defamatory, a bit exaggerated but fairly lighthearted. There are a few pics too. I'm not sure how I feel about it, probably just a bit miffed that he didn't tell us.

It is good manners to tell you, unless you are uncontactable. I don't know if you can legally stop a publication, unless it is defamatory. (That is, not true.)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 16th April 2016, 9:02 PM BST

It is good manners to tell you, unless you are uncontactable. I don't know if you can legally stop a publication, unless it is defamatory. (That is, not true)

He could easily have contacted us. I think you have hit the nail on the head, he ought to have told us out of courtesy at least.

What's OH?

Quote: beaky @ 17th April 2016, 9:27 AM BST

What's OH?

Other half/partner

Beaky's knowledge of acronyms dries up after NORWICH.

I think the author's on pretty dodgy ground with the pictures.
Depends how cross you are.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th April 2016, 3:24 PM BST

I think the author's on pretty dodgy ground with the pictures.
Depends how cross you are.

I feel I ought to say something to him about it but no idea what. I'm not exactly cross; I think perhaps disappointed that he didn't talk to me first and surprised that I found out about it via his facebook page and website. We have known each other for over 30 years.

I think this might be an agony aunt question rather than a technical one!

Maybe that's the thing. just say you're disappointed. Are you mentioned specifically or just in passing? (Do I know him?)

Perhaps a superinjunction's the answer.
What's NORWICH?

Oh my God Loopey! You're not the Celebrity in that threesome scandal are you!!!!!

Quote: beaky @ 17th April 2016, 5:50 PM BST

Perhaps a superinjunction's the answer.
What's NORWICH?

Well really it should be KORWICH.

Quote: Will Cam @ 17th April 2016, 7:19 PM BST

Oh my God Loopey! You're not the Celebrity in that threesome scandal are you!!!!!

;)

Quote: Chappers @ 17th April 2016, 5:20 PM BST

Maybe that's the thing. just say you're disappointed. Are you mentioned specifically or just in passing? (Do I know him?)

Specifically and so is my OH. You don't know the author.
Perhaps you are right and I should tell him I am disappointed.

Quote: Will Cam @ 17th April 2016, 7:19 PM BST

Worse than that, there were more than three of us and did involve me undressing someone. :$