RIP Ronnie Corbett Page 2

Very sad
RIP Ronnie

Aaron on'telly again tonight with the BBC2 homage "The Many Faces of Ronnie Corbett" - most enjoyable hour. :)

Oh missed that. Obviously a replacement programme. I'm being good and doing some writing so not watching TV.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st March 2016, 4:26 PM BST

As if it needed proving - his versatility, I was trying to find some of his more recent work on YouTube but they appear to be in foreign languages for some reason, and what I was thinking of was the wonderful skit he did with Bubbles in Little Britain and the even more hilarious Baftas toilet sketch he did with Stephen Merchant in Extras - the juxtaposition of the two of them is classic!

Oooh, found it elsewhere:-

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qzdkd

I was howling with laughter the first time I saw that Extras scene and I thought what a great man he was to agree to it. Getting caught by security and then being lined up like school kids. :D The moment he trips while filming the Way To Amarillo video also makes me laugh every time. I wouldn't normally find someone falling or tripping over funny but he wasn't injured and his reaction is just priceless. If he had been hurt it wouldn't have the same effect.

He always looked 20 years younger and my thoughts are with his family. We've lost a legendary performer and contributor to comedy.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that I met Rosemary Leach on a cruise a few years ago. She appeared in "No that's me over here" with Ronnie Corbett. She said that he was a genuinely lovely man.

Very sorry to hear the news. A much loved comic, I hope he is enjoying 'looking down' on us.

RIP RONNIE

A great man, real old school talent and can not be replaced.

Quote: marac @ 31st March 2016, 6:02 PM BST

Liked him enough to sample No- That's Me over here when it became available so I bought that as well. Would also buy "Now Look Here" & " The Prince Of Denmark" if they became available although I would be buying blind because I've never seen either of those.

Both spin-offs from No - That's Me Over Here with the same writers and Rosemary Leach, so not entirely blind!

Such very, very sad news today. Shocked, saddened, really a major downer.

Aaron, how long ago did you record your piece for the "The Many Faces of Ronnie Corbett" because I noticed that a couple of the interviewees were talking about him as if he was still alive and it did seem a too good a programme to be ready so quickly, but then I noticed that it was dated 2016.

The Four Candles sketch - I have to mention this as I think it is the best part of it, and that is over the "Os" and "Ps". The way Ronnie Corbett gets the ladder, puts it back, takes time to shut a door, then go all over it again is superb and how they did that with straight faces amazes me as every time it has me in stitches! Laughing out loud I remember shops like that where nothing changes in the service and nothing is too much trouble, but there comes a point when certain customers (Ronnie B in this case) push the limits.

A classic indeed and my only other observation about it is the bill hook tag line is a bit weak, which Ronnie Barker said he wasn't happy with it but couldn't think of anything else UNTIL (and isn't it typical) a bit later when it dawned on him it should have been Knockers and he would have had a well endowed young lady to come in to see to it instead of how it was.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st April 2016, 9:29 AM BST

Aaron, how long ago did you record your piece for the "The Many Faces of Ronnie Corbett" because I noticed that a couple of the interviewees were talking about him as if he was still alive and it did seem a too good a programme to be ready so quickly, but then I noticed that it was dated 2016.

The episode was first shown on New Year's Day.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_many_faces_of/episodes/2016/1/

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st April 2016, 9:29 AM BST

A classic indeed and my only other observation about it is the bill hook tag line is a bit weak, which Ronnie Barker said he wasn't happy with it but couldn't think of anything else UNTIL (and isn't it typical) a bit later when it dawned on him it should have been Knockers and he would have had a well endowed young lady to come in to see to it instead of how it was.

I have the book by Ronnie Barker "All I ever wrote" (which as he admits in the introduction is NOT all he wrote as some scripts got lost over the years).

However at the end of the Fork Handles sketch in the book the original man serving storms off and says "I've had enough, Elsie come and serve this customer"

A rather big slovenly woman with a large bosom comes in and says "What sort of knockers are you looking for?".

I do wonder if this WAS the original ending, but was felt a bit "rude" for Saturday evening family viewing.

Though to be fair there are quite a few "rude" jokes in the Two Ronnies, and Ronnie did like his large "busty" women (lots of "boob" jokes in the Two Ronnies).

(However the most unintentional "boob" joke was when Madeline Smith's "nipple" popped out in the Hampton Wick sketch and they just kept on filming and it is still shown on TV today.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss7HW7vk28I

Knockers is/are quite innocuous (almost a rhyme there :D ) and I clearly remember Ronnie Barker saying in an interview (I may have it on DVD) that that ending didn't dawn on him until after they had filmed it and it had gone out.

Horrible disease that he died from Motor Neurone Disease. my mother in law died of that disease and she suffered horrifically. RIP Mr Corbett you were truly one of the greats. Earlier they had the two ronnies sketchbook on and I loved every second of it especially the crossed line sketch.

Just noticed the TV channel "Gold" are having a Ronnie Corbett tribute weekend.

Almost continuous shows all day Saturday and Sunday featuring Ronnie Corbett including The Two Ronnies, Sorry!, the Extras episode with Corbett in it and so on.

Also programmes such as the Corbett / Barker "Interviews", plus their "Spectacle" (a story of how they started working together) and various other shows.

If you have Sky a search in the Sky planner for "Corbett" turns up all sorts of programmes including some on other channels.

Apologies if I've told this before. My father was at the theatre and noticed Ronnie Corbett sitting in front. He tapped him on the shoulder and said: "I'd just like to thank you for all the pleasure you've given me." To which RC replied: "just don't tell my wife."