Are You Being Served? 2016 special Page 2

Cast announced

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2035/are_you_being_served_2016_cast_watkins_hewson/

This just looks... awful. And I say that as someone who isn't especially fond of the original series, but even so. John Challiis as Captain Peacock? Jason Watkins as Mr Humphries?

I think John Challis is a good choice for that role.

Just leave it alone!

Where has all the originality gone?!

Oh dear, ooooh dear, oooooooh dear oh dear oh dear oh for f*cks sake no, just no.
The only person who I think fits in any of the roles is Arthur Smith because he does have that look about him.
Sherrie Hewson while being the right age in real life looks to young for the Mrs Slocombe role and whoever thought it was a good idea to cast Matthew Horner deserves a slap, I've never seen him in anything remotely amusing apart from the fourth series of Teachers and that fourth one was just awful when they used him and two other blokes to take the place of Navin Chowdrey and Adrien Bowers.

It'd be good to see Arthur Smith as Mr Harman, but could he break the fourth wall? "Why am I appearing in this rubbish?" and so on?

I think the casting is actually very interesting. I'm keen to see the finished show.

It's going to be a steaming pile of horse manure!

Quote: gb901 @ 21st August 2016, 1:08 PM

It's going to be a steaming pile of horse manure!

Well if you're certain of that now, then it will prove to be so.

I watched it last week and thought it very funny, if not a little bit strange.

I'm going to pour myself a glass of Dubonnet and give it a go. It *may* be good and just think, they can resurrect 'Grace and Favour' next.

The laziness and/or ignorance of some media writers is staggering.

This on The List website:
Mike Berry is "disappointed" he wasn't re-cast in the remake of 'Are You Being Served?'. The 73-year-old actor portrayed Bert Spooner in the original run of the classic sitcom from 1972 until 1985...
Whaaaaat? https://www.list.co.uk/article/83993-mike-berry-disappointed-he-wasnt-re-cast-in-are-you-being-served

Also amusing was Berry's comment on the new cast: "Some are well-matched, but they'll never be quite the same and if you compare the new ones with the originals I think you'll be disappointed." Same could be said for when Mr Spooner replaced Mr Lucas.

Is young Mr Grace actually young in this?

That was the highlight of the show for me, old young Mr Grace propped up by sexy nurses and waving his stick.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 27th August 2016, 9:58 PM

Is young Mr Grace actually young in this?

He is!

For goodness sake, who had this brainstorm?????!!!!!. How can you make Porridge without Ronnie Barker et al? (And why would you?) Somebody at the Beeb has too much money to burn & too much time on their hands.

I'll be tuning in, if only to see if the intervening years have been kind to Mrs Slocombe's pussy.