12 Second News

When I saw this week's Skit Comp theme, this is what sprang to mind, a dig at the lack of perspective when it comes to the relationship between celebrity and current affairs. I sort of immediately wrote half of this in my head - but then I saw what Michael had posted, which addressed a similar area (and, I have to say, did it better).

To be honest, I'm glad, because I'm very happy with what I did instead, but it seemed as though I may as well type out what was in my head anyway, as it didn't take long. So here it is, just for the record.

[Throbbing electronic bed - I mean music, not some Barbarella prop. Idiot.]

CLANCY: Hi, and welcome to the 12 second news.

Beyonce has snubbed top novelist Jeanette Winterson, claiming she'd never heard of her! At a glitzy Hollywood bash last night the pop diva had this to say.

[VT noise of party atmos]

BEYONCE: Err, I've never heard of her.

In other news, the cabinet is on fire. Join me for your next bulletin, in a week.

CLANCY: Hi! I'm Clancy Brorke, and this is your 12 second news bulletin.

A film has been premiered. It happened in exactly the location and manner originally planned. Stars were out in force, including Simon MacCorkindale, Norma Major, and Captain & Tennille. Celebs dazzled on the red carpet, then went inside. They came out 2 hours and 13 minutes later, none of them angry or crying, so the film was a resounding success.

Also, Greenland has been destroyed.

Your next bulletin in a month - maybe more, if nothing interesting happens.

CLANCY: This is your 12 secod news blast, I'm Clancy Brorke, Jr.

Holly Willoughby has got a hat. [Pause] Join us for more - oh, yeah, in other news, space crabs are our new crustacean overlords. More news when the Black Pincer Media Control Phalanx says it's allowed!

Got the voice straight away, would have worked well as a running sketch for the 2525 submission.

Maybe Warhol would say -

"In the future, everyone will be famous for 12 seconds."

Quote: playfull @ 8th February 2016, 10:03 PM GMT

Got the voice straight away, would have worked well as a running sketch for the 2525 submission.

Yes, good retro-suggestion. if I'd thought of this at the time, I may well have submitted.

I'm really glad you feel I hit the tone, and saw what I was going for. But, I do have to ask myself, is this redundant satire? I mean, BBC3 won't even exist in a little while (I suppose Newsbeat still will - do they still call it Newsbeat? I don't think I've listened to Radio 1 this millennium :O)

Cheers for your thoughts, as ever.