How to write with someone and maintain sanity

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was any advice and tips for how to make a co-writing partnership work? At the moment I am writing and rewriting a comedy script with a good friend (for now ;-) with the aim of it being submitted to an industry contact of his. Wow it's been tough - the writing has been the easy part in comparison.

A month or so into this project, and despite some good progress and laughs together, we still haven't found what I think is a fair way of working together; he is resisting the 50/50 idea of things as it is his contact and despite the fact I have already made big changes in his favour and it was my script to begin with. If it goes any more his way I feel as though the worst possible thing could be his contact actually commissioning the script - as then my friend would feel vindicated for having more control in the partnership. Even if there was commissioning success I doubt I would enjoy anything other than a 50/50 split in terms of further writing output.

What do others think? Am I being too idealistic? Are there ways of smoothing disagreements so that both parties are at least content?

Many thanks,

Alan

Yes, get your foot in the door first, worry about idealism later (when you can approach this contact yourself if the partnership goes sour).

Dan

Cheers Dan. I don't think that route is for me though. Like I say he is a good friend and if the initial prob is not sorted now it could get very messy and complicated later on if there is success and things implode then rather than now.

Alan

Hi Alan.

Chances are your script is going to change beyond all recognition if it does get made, regardless of that being 'your mate' or all the execs in the way. Having a contact in the industry is someone you can go to regularly and miss out all the shit along the way, so it's more learning/networking experience than anything at this stage.

But you seem to know what you're going to do already anyway :) Best of luck either way!

Dan

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ 1st February 2016, 12:32 PM GMT

I have already made big changes in his favour and it was my script to begin with. If it goes any more his way I feel as though the worst possible thing could be his contact actually commissioning the script

This pretty much describes the commissioning process.
Might be worth getting used to it.

As an unknown he could be the difference with his contacts. As I always say 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Once this is a success you could write on your own.

And what's so great about sanity?

And there's always the possibility that he is *right*, Alan!

No, thought not... :)

Dan

Hello Alan

Your situation is exactly the one I found myself in a few years back. Crazily similar in fact. Although there was no contact involved in our one.

We too were good friends but our different approaches to the writing partnership meant that our relationship became strained and it took an absolute age to get anything done. There were good times of course, we came up with some great jokes and ideas but at the end of the day the problems outweighed the fun. It got to the point that it was now a drag and no longer fun to write together.

It also got to the point that I genuinely thought it would ruin a good friendship, so one day, after a lot of thought I might add, I told him our writing partnership was over. It was really tough to do but it was the right thing to do.

I still think writing in partnership can be really useful. It is fantastic to have someone to bounce ideas off of, and when you work together to nail a great joke it just feels fantastic. It is also great for motivation as you keep each other going.

However, I think there has to be some sort of agreement on both parts on how things should be carried out. Better to sort it out upfront than get knee deep into a project only to find out you can no longer work together.

I'm writing with someone now who has provided a formulaic structure and story line. He's also a successful businessman and very disciplined. I'm supposed to be adding the gags (!).

Anyway it's going well. Rewrites and rewrites.