Howler, Collaborative joke writing. Page 2

Quote: Mike Hince @ 3rd February 2016, 7:15 AM GMT

Morning ;) Thanks for making us seem credible. You have posted a few times on this forum huh!

Yes, yours wasn't the first comedy site to suck the time out of me :P

Hello Mike,

Not sure if this is useful or not but -

I have visited Howler before and again after reading this thread - but - did not immediately 'get' what I was looking at, or how I start to access and use the site.

I know I am incredibly old and might not be your target audience but I found the landing page too bare. I felt it did not invite me in to play. I had to navigate to FAQ's to start to understand the site...

Again not sure if this is helpful feedback, it might just be me...but I thought you might be interested.

Quote: playfull @ 4th February 2016, 3:59 PM GMT

Hello Mike,

Not sure if this is useful or not but -

I have visited Howler before and again after reading this thread - but - did not immediately 'get' what I was looking at, or how I start to access and use the site.

I know I am incredibly old and might not be your target audience but I found the landing page too bare. I felt it did not invite me in to play. I had to navigate to FAQ's to start to understand the site...

Again not sure if this is helpful feedback, it might just be me...but I thought you might be interested.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to send feedback, much appreciated.

Yes one of my high priority jobs is to introduce a new home page which features latest and popular jokes, plus for none-signed in users a description of the site to try and bring new people in. you're right the first time you land on the site is very plain. In my mind it would be 'Vote, vote again, keep voting' but honestly we do need more information up front. :)

Quote: Grumpy Young Bloke @ 2nd February 2016, 9:15 PM GMT

This is brilliant! Thanks for letting us know!

Are you on Twitter? shared a joke of yours but would love to credit you properly :D

There's one of my gags on there that I wrote on here a few years back.

Which oneStephen?

I wrote one here in 'tell us a joke' that went something like ; I have formed a new band called 1024mb. We only have one gig
The almost, but tweaked gag is on there.

Here.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/29369/31#P1062344

But, someone did say it was an ancient joke. I have never Googled it as it came out of my head.
It's been said many times on here though that different people will write the same gag...... but when they use the same numbers in the same way, it does make you think hmmmm.

Yeah, it's an old gag, so I wouldn't worry about it being stole from yourself.

Old but rather brilliant.

I want to build a form of tagging to the joke pages, i.e original joke links.

Hi Mike. Love the site.

I've been posting jokes on another site for years, but what I like about your site is the challenge of writing a punchline to someone else's feed line. That's what makes it different to other sites, so I'd maybe think about changing the rules so that you can't add a punchline to a feed line you submitted yourself. I've noticed a few users doing this, basically just posting a complete joke they wrote, and it goes against what I like about the site.

As you said, getting users to vote on jokes is very important. A lack of point scoring and appreciation can kill the passion for contributing to the site (I've seen it happen), so anything you can do to encourage voting can only help.

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks Biscuit777!

Loving your work, are you on Twitter as I always try to name check the writers.

We did think about blocking Punchlines on your own Setups but the trick is at our early stage it would put up a wall for users to contribute. Ideally we need to keep the walls down and let people do what they want.

Also, in many cases people post funnier punchlines to other peoples jokes.

Getting some great users from this site, thanks for joining in and being a part of our little journey!

Mike

Yeah, I see what you're saying about blocking the punchlines.

I'm @SickiBiscuit777 on Twitter. Thanks :)

Hi
I am a full time lurker on here and other sites, I only found Howler in the last two weeks.

I love it, and find it strange that some don't, or they worry about having jokes nicked. If I had a comment about Howler, I would say that because I am very competitive I want to be the top joker but I see very little chance of topping the leader board. The people at the bottom of the board(newbies) seem to have little chance of climbing to the top unless the top guys stop writing.

J26

Quote: Johnny26 @ 21st February 2016, 10:27 AM GMT

Hi
I am a full time lurker on here and other sites, I only found Howler in the last two weeks.

I love it, and find it strange that some don't, or they worry about having jokes nicked. If I had a comment about Howler, I would say that because I am very competitive I want to be the top joker but I see very little chance of topping the leader board. The people at the bottom of the board(newbies) seem to have little chance of climbing to the top unless the top guys stop writing.

J26

Hey! Thanks for the comments. Addressing this issue is high on my list, at the moment it's more rewarding for quantity not quality. I'm thinking of ways forlus to make this fairer.

M

Hey All.

Thanks for all the great feedback in the recent months via many of the forums on this fine site! I just wanted to let you know about some updates to the site!

1. Daily leaderboard, compete for the most laughs in a 24 hour period and become our King/Queen of comedy! http://howler.co/leaderboard

2. If you're a daily winner you get added to our winners page. http://howler.co/leaderboard/winners

3. Speed, the voting is now lightening fast which was a major frustration before.

4. Popular filters on the user pages, now you can click through to anyones profile and filter their jokes to only show you the funniest content! e.g http://howler.co/user/rwoolford?sort=popular

5. Mobile navigation fixes that make it easier to view setups, popular jokes by filters. This was a previous frustration to many mobile users, especially Android users.

6. Share banner is gone forever, it was just a horrible bug that interrupted the site. If you want to share a joke you still can we're just not forcing you to ;)

7. SEO! Yep, we've made the site accessible to Google which hopefully means more of your jokes will be found on Google and get more votes and shares.

Phew. I'm here for questions and feature requests.

Thanks for reading
Mike!

View my jokes: (sorry I'm no comedian!... yet anyway!) http://howler.co/user/zer0mike?sort=popular

Quote: Mike Hince @ 12th March 2016, 7:06 PM GMT

7. SEO! Yep, we've made the site accessible to Google which hopefully means more of your jokes will be found on Google and get more votes and shares.

I think you might have a slight misunderstanding about the nature of SEO?