The Sitcom Mission 2016 Page 2

This is probably the best blog entry James Cary has ever written (and the others are not half bag, tbh!) but one that you should probably read before you send your script in.

Dan

Just to answer a few FAQs:

You can enter from anywhere in the world.

You can enter as many times as you like.

Since Celtx is free, there's no excuse really for anything other than a properly formatted script.

We want a complete episode that is no longer than 15 mins. We're not looking for the first half of something that you've already written. We want an ending that is satisfying and (ideally) surprising.

More details here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/rules/

Quote: simon wright @ 24th February 2016, 3:11 PM GMT

Just to answer a few FAQs:

You can enter from anywhere in the world.

You can enter as many times as you like.

Since Celtx is free, there's no excuse really for anything other than a properly formatted script.

We want a complete episode that is no longer than 15 mins. We're not looking for the first half of something that you've already written. We want an ending that is satisfying and (ideally) surprising.

More details here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/rules/

Hi, do you want 15 minute pilot scripts, or 15 minute scripts that are already 'up and running'?

Thank you!

J x

Quote: GoWithIt @ 24th February 2016, 3:54 PM GMT

Hi, do you want 15 minute pilot scripts, or 15 minute scripts that are already 'up and running'?

Thank you!

J x

Excellent question. We want a sitcom that is already 'up and running'. Industry speak for this is "Send us episode 4".

Otherwise you risk spending so long setting out the premise and establishing the relationships that there's little time left for laughs. You've only got 15 minutes to play with.

We'd rather be laughing than learning, so 'Episode 4' please.

Damn. I was going to send episode 3.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th February 2016, 7:56 PM GMT

Damn. I was going to send episode 3.

:D

Quote: simon wright @ 25th February 2016, 5:47 PM GMT

Excellent question. We want a sitcom that is already 'up and running'. Industry speak for this is "Send us episode 4".

Otherwise you risk spending so long setting out the premise and establishing the relationships that there's little time left for laughs. You've only got 15 minutes to play with.

We'd rather be laughing than learning, so 'Episode 4' please.

Brilliant, thank you for the quick and thorough response! 'Episode 4' it is then!

I have three separate ideas I'm going to work on, fingers crossed I get some results!

Thanks again,

J x

I have two free tickets for Natalie Haynes Stands Up For the Classics on March 4th.

PM me for details/tickets.

I think I may have asked this question last year, but I figured I'd make it an annual tradition:

Is this a live read-through set up, rather than a script specifically written for the stage? In other words, can the sitcom be set anywhere with inside and outside scenes because actors will be doing a rehearsed reading?

Oh, that's two questions.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ 27th February 2016, 12:44 PM GMT

I think I may have asked this question last year, but I figured I'd make it an annual tradition:

Is this a live read-through set up, rather than a script specifically written for the stage? In other words, can the sitcom be set anywhere with inside and outside scenes because actors will be doing a rehearsed reading?

Oh, that's two questions.

Yes to both.

Brilliant session with our level 2 students last night. For the final week of their course we bring in professional actors to read the scripts that the writers have been developing over the 8 weeks.

It's incredibly valuable to hear your work read aloud by experienced professionals.

Are we able to view the video of the winning entry from last year? And will this year's be filmed as well? If not I guess we can feel less restricted about sets, etc?

Quote: Harri @ 14th March 2016, 4:46 PM GMT

Are we able to view the video of the winning entry from last year? And will this year's be filmed as well? If not I guess we can feel less restricted about sets, etc?

Hi Harri

As the winning entry has been optioned by Hat Trick, City Academy have decided not to film it. They've said that they'll probably make the same offer this year, but again stand aside if another production company options the winner.

Can you elaborate what you mean by 'less restricted about sets'? It's good to show us the regular sets that we'd be seeing each week.

Quote: Harri @ 16th March 2016, 7:58 PM GMT

will this year's winner be filmed as well? if not, I guess we have more license to go all out?

and can we view the video from last year?

Hi Harri

Did you see my reply above?

Cheers, Declan

will the winner be filmed this year as well? and can we view last year's winner?

AARRHHGG! I didn't see that my posts got uploaded! sorry!