Peter Kay retrospective

•A new 6-part BBC1 series will celebrate Peter Kay's work
•Peter Kay's Comedy Shuffle follows on from the '20 Years Of Funny' special
•Peter Kay says he feels honoured the BBC wants to look back at his career

Certainly looking forward to this, as the '20 Years Of Funny', which was on Christmas Eve and I have finally managed to watch, was absolutely superb!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th January 2016, 3:32 PM GMT

........... as the '20 Years Of Funny', which was on Christmas Eve and I have finally managed to watch, was absolutely superb!

Am I the only person who watched this? :(

I watched some of it. The bit where they showed the out-takes from Car Share. That was funny.

I didn't realise that the club acts in Phoenix Nights were actual acts basically playing themselves, and the doc. highlighted overall just how talented Peter Kay is - there's a lot going on in the background and his knowledge of the pop industry is second to none.

I'm sorry, I don't want to go on an anti Kay rant or anything, I mean like Phoenix Nights and his first few live DVDs. But isn't this going a little bit overboard, a six part series? If anyone deserved a six part series, it's Rik Mayall, and all he got was an hour long tribute.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 20th January 2016, 11:40 PM GMT

isn't this going a little bit overboard, a six part series? If anyone deserved a six part series, it's Rik Mayall

Peter Kay is the new Billy Connolly, in that they are both hugely respected among their peers. Both can pack out stadiums and sell DVDs like no other. Also in an industry top heavy with graduates, Cambridge Footlights and BBC bias, these two break that mould. They have bridged the gap that the likes of Chubby Brown have not. And hence their audience isn't watered down by competition. They're working class heroes done good, learning their trade in working men's clubs (and Bingo Halls). But they are also very loveable personas that we warm to. The "Only fools and horses" of stand up. But Rik Mayall is also good.

Nick, you nailed it there! Couldn't have put it better. :)

Kind of agree with SCF64 though, in that a six part tribute maybe a bit over the top - I hope there will not be a lot of padding in the progs.

My wife and I are massive fans, so are looking forward to it enormously - am also a big fan of Rik's.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 21st January 2016, 8:27 AM GMT

Peter Kay is the new Billy Connolly, in that they are both hugely respected among their peers.

I'm not entirely sure that's true.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 21st January 2016, 8:27 AM GMT

Peter Kay is the new Billy Connolly, in that they are both hugely respected among their peers. Both can pack out stadiums and sell DVDs like no other. Also in an industry top heavy with graduates, Cambridge footlights and BBC bias, these two break that mould. They have bridge the gap, that the likes of Chubby Brown have not. And hence their audience isn't water down by competition. They're working class heroes done good, learning their trade in working men's clubs (and Bingo Halls). But they are also very lovable personas that we warm to. The "Only fools and horses" of stand up. But Rik Mayall is also good.

Good summary Nick.

That said, I agree with Sitcomfan in many ways, I mean Peter Kay's good, but some of this fluff does seem to be verging on hagiography.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 21st January 2016, 1:30 PM GMT

Good summary Nick.

That said, I agree with Sitcomfan in many ways, I mean Peter Kay's good, but some of this fluff does seem to be verging on hagiography.

'Swhat I said, but can't agree that it is verging on............what you said.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 20th January 2016, 11:40 PM

But isn't this going a little bit overboard, a six part series? If anyone deserved a six part series

Turned out to be a 19-part retrospective split over three series. All three series were great though featuring some cracking highlights from the country's top comedian. I'd watch a fourth series but I think they've run out of bits to show.

Billy Connolly never wrote any sitcoms, so maybe he's the new Ben Elton?

In the history of show business, there are a number of people who are (almost) indisputably right at the top of the tree. Frank Sinatra and Barbara Streisand spring readily to mind and so does Peter Kay, along with Billy Connolly and Ken Dodd.

Are you saying (in not so many words) that sitcom writers can no longer be the top of the comedy tree?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th November 2018, 5:43 PM

Are you saying (in not so many words) that sitcom writers can no longer be the top of the comedy tree?

Not at all.

I was thinking only of stand-up comedians and saying that Peter Kay, Billy Connolly and Ken Dodd are, for me, among the funniest I've ever seen in my life.