The Rebel - Series 1 Page 15

Is Brian Blessed free?

(Congrats by the way)

No, thank God! No more guesses please.

Thought I'd keep people up to date with what's happening, for those who don't know much about how sitcoms are made it might be interesting. After frantic rewrites of the scripts, which is still happening even though filming starts next Monday, there was a readthrough of five of the six scripts(the sixth was in such an embryonic form that it wasn't included) on Monday at the TV company in London. About forty people in a big room, the principle actors reading from the rehearsal scripts. It went well, a good number of laughs. Today was the technical recce for the Brighton shoot, I tagged along with the seventeen crew as we visited the locations we're going to use, many of them within a stone's throw of one another. Camera positions and shots are discussed, measurements of exteriors where the interiors are going to be made as sets elsewhere, etc. Everything meticulously planned so that the actual shoot will be as fast and trouble-free as possible. All this in brilliant sunshine. I had to keep pinching myself that all this came from something I'd written, painstakingly brought to life by a skilful team. There was even a good lunch in a seafront restaurant, although the bastards wouldn't let me have pudding as they were in too much of a hurry, and I was the only person drinking alcohol...all in all they showed great tolerance in putting up with me!

Quote: beaky @ 24th August 2017, 9:24 PM

Thought I'd keep people up to date with what's happening, for those who don't know much about how sitcoms are made it might be informative.

Sounds both professional and boring (the no alcohol part.)

I've passed through Brighton, but never explored. I'd like to take in some of the Quadrophenia filming locations someday.

That's a very interesting account, beaky. Thanks for keeping us updated! Good to know things are going well. Apart from script six, of course...

VERY interesting - thank you beaky! :)

Thanks Beaky. Very interesting and insightful.

I had to keep pinching myself that all this came from something I'd written

I liked reading that bit best
I got a feel for your wonderment.

Please keep posting little vignettes of your progress

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th August 2017, 8:24 AM

I liked reading that bit best
I got a feel for your wonderment.

Please keep posting little vignettes of your progress

Will do!
One of the strangest things is hearing everyone discuss my characters as if they were real people - which I suppose they are now, in a way.

Quote: beaky @ 24th August 2017, 9:24 PM

filming starts next Monday,

In Brighton, on Bank Holiday Monday?

No, in London. The Brighton shoot's in a couple of weeks.
There's a Mod weekend in Brighton just starting!

Will Ace Face be there?

What, Simon Callow was there and never had a drink? He's not the man I took him for. Tell me, did he manage to get you on your own in a corner at any point and take you by the elbow - "The lines you've written for me are simply marvellous, dear boy, simply marvellous; immortal words, dear boy, truly immortal; I wouldn't want to change a jot or tittle; but did it ever occur to you that it might be an idea for me to give them the old 'Once more unto the breach' from Henry V at this point? I played it in Stratford in '85, you know: I think I've got one of the reviews on me, actually: ah yes, here it is: 'The full-throated magnificence of Callow's delivery...'" etc etc and so forth.

Quote: Edward Picot @ 25th August 2017, 6:58 PM

What, Simon Callow was there and never had a drink? He's not the man I took him for. Tell me, did he manage to get you on your own in a corner at any point and take you by the elbow - "The lines you've written for me are simply marvellous, dear boy, simply marvellous; immortal words, dear boy, truly immortal; I wouldn't want to change a jot or tittle; but did it ever occur to you that it might be an idea for me to give them the old 'Once more unto the breach' from Henry V at this point? I played it in Stratford in '85, you know: I think I've got one of the reviews on me, actually: ah yes, here it is: 'The full-throated magnificence of Callow's delivery...'" etc etc and so forth.

:D nice one Edward

Haha! There's a certain element of truth there, Edward!