Still Open All Hours - Series 2 Page 3

7 millions viewers per episode is amazing! Very few drama make it over the average 5.5-6 million, so for a sitcom to achieve this is very surprising!

I usually catch up on iPlayer sometime during the week. It's a nice, easy watch.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd January 2016, 9:27 AM GMT

I think RB would have struggled wring a laugh out of those scripts.

I record and watch it every week, but yes, it's mediocre in the extreme, but non-offensive to viewers I guess?

Quote: Chappers @ 21st January 2016, 10:40 PM GMT

But if an unknown wrote something like this they would have no chance of being produced.

Absolutely.

Tried to watch this again tonight, but no just not funny at all.............dire in fact.

That's very sad really. I didn't like the pilot so have steered clear.

For me it was a bit like the latter stuff by Laurel & Hardy.

Sometimes you need to retire, no matter how great you've been.

But there's plenty of people who do like it (..before someone reminds us again..), so good luck to 'em.

Last line I caught of last Sunday's prog that wraps it up, spoken by David Jason of course:-

"I wonder if I could interest Mavis in that last piece of cheese? ................Maybe it does have powerful effects after all!"
MUCH CANNED HYSTERICAL LAUGHTER.........................WHA!? .........Oh dear, never mind.

Yes, it is indeed dross!

You know when you're in a group of people and you're trying to form an opinion of someone you've only just met, then they say something so banal and pointless you wondered why they bothered at all, then you wonder if they might just be a tad socially awkward, then you realise you really don't care so just block them out like they're no longer there - like that.

I did my usual which involves imagining the meeting to discuss and finalise the script, as all I'm really interested in are the bits they actually rejected in favour of totally unfunny . . . then about 7 seconds later, I notice there's a bit of fluff on the carpet which then has my full attention and I'm gone . . .

:S

Quote: fopdoodle @ 11th April 2017, 6:57 PM

You know when you're in a group of people and you're trying to form an opinion of someone you've only just met, then they say something so banal and pointless you wondered why they bothered at all, then you wonder if they might just be a tad socially awkward, then you realise you really don't care so just block them out like they're no longer there - like that.

I did my usual which involves imagining the meeting to discuss and finalise the script, as all I'm really interested in are the bits they actually rejected in favour of totally unfunny . . . then about 7 seconds later, I notice there's a bit of fluff on the carpet which then has my full attention and I'm gone . . .

:S

David Jason you mean?

Seen the 2017 Christmas special and as usual it's not funny at all and should never have been allowed to go any further after the supposed one-off Christmas special, a few years ago.
It's basically another version of Last of the Summer Wine, but set around a corner shop and so cheesey.
As Blackadder once said in Blackadder Goes Forth, "please, please STOP" !!!

I am at a complete loss to understand why this ( along with Mrs. Brown ) is popular - neither are funny whatsoever.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st January 2018, 7:21 AM

I am at a complete loss to understand why this ( along with Mrs. Brown ) is popular - neither are funny whatsoever.

I presume this keeps going to give Roy Clarke something to do?

You'd think he'd got enough dosh by now.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st January 2018, 12:05 PM

You'd think he'd got enough dosh by now.

I also don't know why Citizen Khan is still on. Even though there hasn't been a new series this year, thank god. I hope this has now ended too.

I personally think Still Open All Hours will go on till either David Jason or Roy Clarke dies, which ever one happens first.