Still Open All Hours - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Woozie @ 3rd January 2016, 9:15 PM GMT

I think it's amazing considering it's a form of comedy that is less common and generally considered outdated. Saying that, Mrs. Brown's Boys and Miranda are both homages to the 70s style sitcom and those too are big hits.

Quite. "Generally" considered so by the chatterati who are all far too self-satisfied and inward-looking, and do not at all represent the viewing public. Quite the opposite in many cases.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd January 2016, 8:06 AM GMT

Agree entirely, except would drop the "virtually".

Agree :D

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd January 2016, 10:16 PM GMT

Quite. "Generally" considered so by the chatterati who are all far too self-satisfied and inward-looking, and do not at all represent the viewing public. Quite the opposite in many cases.

It's a case of loud minority, silent majority.

Second series is as appaling as the first: is it obligatory for the BBC to keep alleged "national treasure" David Jason in work, as that's the only reason I can think of it blighting our screens?

Sorry people, but just don't find this funny at all. So predictable and almost childish. Great shame as there are very good comedy actors being wasted on stilted scripts.

https://www.facebook.com/STILL-OPEN-ALL-HOURS-362292620602861/ Wave

OPEN ALL HOURS OFFICIAL FAN PAGE PACKED WITH NEW AND VINTAGE EPISODES

Quote: gb901 @ 10th January 2016, 8:05 PM GMT

is it obligatory for the BBC to keep alleged "national treasure" David Jason in work, as that's the only reason I can think of it blighting our screens?

How about the massive viewing figures? They're probably quite a good reason?

I agree. I really like sitting down each week and spending half an hour in the company of Granville and Co. Whatever your thoughts on Clarke, whether he's running low on ideas, his talent as a writer and his lovely use of language cannot be overlooked. I do wonder if this will set a precedent for more shows to come back? I know they're already considering a Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, as well as Clarke's own Keeping Up Appearances.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th January 2016, 10:23 AM GMT

Exactly if you don't like it don't watch it. Just because a few people on a forum thinks its crap doesn't mean it is, especially regarding the millions that do watch it an enjoy it.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 13th January 2016, 10:31 AM GMT

I agree. I really like sitting down each week and spending half an hour in the company of Granville and Co. Whatever your thoughts on Clarke, whether he's running low on ideas, his talent as a writer and his lovely use of language cannot be overlooked. I do wonder if this will set a precedent for more shows to come back? I know they're already considering a Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, as well as Clarke's own Keeping Up Appearances.

Even though I never got into Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em I'm sure the people who did like it would love to see it come back. I still wish they would bring back Goodnight Sweetheart, again not everyone's cup of tea but I loved it.

Well it seems that the viewing figures cannot be ignored, and it has been recomissioned for a third series. I for one am pleased. As tame and inoffensive as it is, it's a nice programme and that's more than can be said for a lot of scripted programming these days.

http://renewcanceltv.com/still-open-all-hours-renewed-for-series-3-by-bbc-one/

Quote: Aaron @ 13th January 2016, 10:23 AM GMT

But if an unknown wrote something like this they would have no chance of being produced.

Quote: Chappers @ 21st January 2016, 10:40 PM GMT

But if an unknown wrote something like this they would have no chance of being produced.

Probably true.

That doesn't make it not good though; that just highlights that there are differences between new and established writers, and possibly that the system for commissioning is broken.

With virtually the same script Ronnie Barker made this special for me.Without him it's just mediocre.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 21st January 2016, 11:38 PM GMT

With virtually the same script Ronnie Barker made this special for me.Without him it's just mediocre.

I think RB would have struggled wring a laugh out of those scripts.

I don't dislike David jason but he drags things out too much. I just wish he'd create a new comedy character.