How do I avoid cliché sitcoms?

I create my own graphic novels but I'm not famous, I do it as a hobby.

I don't want to come up with anything that involves goofy teenagers getting into bad situations trying to get laid because it's all something we've seen before, it's something a 12 year old stoner would be interested in.

I was thinking about vet doing stupid things at their practice but then we already had "Scrubs" which is similar but only with humans not animals. Then I thought, "How about something I've experienced?" but then we already had that, the creators of the "Inbetweeners" based the show on their adolescent years.

I'm very into romantic comedies but then the "cool guys" won't be interested. And also my graphic novels are inspired by anime despite me being British Italian.

Any advice?

Just because a premise has been used before, doesn't make it a cliché.

That's true don't be scared of cliche, cliche exists for a reason it's what we're familiar with. Peep Show is a modern Likely Lads, Alien a Ghost story in space.

Make your story original to your characters, make your characters strong and it won't be cliched.

So you're thinking of doing a Graphic sitcom?

That hasn't really been done before itself - although there is of course Viz which is a series of short sketches really.

Just create some characters and then it should happen. Just put them somewhere you know lots about and can take the piss out of.

Didn't Dad's Army, Bread and Allo Allo have comic strips?