We're Doomed!

Surprised there is nothing on the board about this (have searched here there and everywhere, but 'spect Aaron will put me right on that!) - this looks really good with a very plump John Sessions in the lead part.

AND, just look at that cast!

John Sessions is playing Arthur Lowe in BBC2's one-off drama telling the making of the long-running sitcom, with Paul Ritter and Richard Dormer playing writers Jimmy Perry and David Croft
The war on the home front returns to the BBC this December in a new, one-off comedy drama that follows the making of the long-running BBC sitcom. We're Doomed! The Dad's Army Story will trace the show's origins, from writer Jimmy Perry's initial idea in 1967 until the transmission of the first episode in 1968.
With John Sessions as Arthur Lowe (aka the long-suffering Captain Mainwaring), We're Doomed! will also star Richard Dormer and Paul Ritter as writers David Croft and Jimmy Perry in a cast that also includes Julian Sands as John Le Mesurier, Mark Heap as Clive Dunn, plus Shane Richie, Bill Pertwee, Kevin Bishop, Keith Allen, Sally Phillips, Sarah Alexander and Roy Hudd.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th December 2015, 10:01 AM GMT

Surprised there is nothing on the board about this (have searched here there and everywhere, but 'spect Aaron will put me right on that!)

I think I've read about it on the BCG Facebook site.

I wonder why they called it "We're Doomed!". "Do you think that's wise...?" would have been my suggestion.
I will watch this...no doubt about that.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th December 2015, 11:21 AM GMT

I think I've read about it on the BCG Facebook site.

I wonder why they called it "We're Doomed!". "Do you think that's wise...?" would have been my suggestion.
I will watch this...no doubt about that.

I think that maybe something to do with the serious doubts that were felt when the idea was first mooted and the cool reception the early episodes received - the programme being, I think about the early days.

Never go on Facebook............

Or, after last night's episode how about "Elizabeth?........." Laughing out loud

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th December 2015, 11:43 AM GMT

I think that maybe something to do with the serious doubts that were felt when the idea was first mooted and the cool reception the early episodes received - the programme being, I think about the early days.

Precisely...so "Do you think that's wise...?" would have been a fitting title then.

Certainly, but you could say the same about We're Doomed. ;)

Just seen clips on'telly - will be broadcast on Tuesday 22nd December, BBC 2 I expect.

Does anyone buy the Radio Times any more?

Maybe Christmas week/fortnight, mainly to see what films will be on over the holiday period.

Clearly they went out of their way to use actors that looked as close to the original people/actors and they got it pretty much right, especially the chap playing David Croft; BUT what went wrong with the one playing Jimmy Perry? He looked nothing like him - very odd.

All in all though an enjoyable and interesting hour long back story.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd December 2015, 11:06 PM GMT

Clearly they went out of their way to use actors that looked as close to the original people/actors...

Lowe and Croft were spot on. Laurie wasn' t bad. But I wasn't very impressed with the rest. Julian Sands looked and behaved nothing like Le Mesurier...he reminded me more of Freddie from Vicious. And the man who played Perry reminded me of Sam Kelly, so he'd be perfect for The Porridge Story.

They used a lot of the anecdotes I already knew from the documentary in the complete box set. Still, an enjoyable programme.

It was Ok, but I didn't quite feel Jimmy Perry's pain particularly in his failed quest to be cast, and felt that that part of the plot was over-egged. Why should we care much that he's not been cast, when he's just succeeded in writing Dads Army?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 22nd December 2015, 11:40 PM GMT

Lowe and Croft were spot on. Laurie wasn' t bad. But I wasn't very impressed with the rest. Julian Sands looked and behaved nothing like Le Mesurier...he reminded me more of Freddie from Vicious. And the man who played Perry reminded me of Sam Kelly, so he'd be perfect for The Porridge Story.

They used a lot of the anecdotes I already knew from the documentary in the complete box set. Still, an enjoyable programme.

Don't you read, Gordon? Because they can be found in various "story of Dad's Army" books as well.

People like the stories, that's why they're retold.

Having gone through all the press clippings and posting them on the guide, it looks like all the newspapers and websites like the show - except the Express. That might not seem surprising, but given that even the Mail gave it five stars it does seem a bit odd.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/were_doomed_dads_army_story/press/

I rather liked it. I'm not sure what was the point of casting great funny ladies Sally Phillips and Sarah Alexander, and then giving them almost nothing to do, but other than that I have no complaints.

Fine with me, always time to salivate over Sarah Alexander Lovey